Is indoor training without a fan drastically limiting my FTP?

Not sure any how TR handles zeroes, you might be right.

Difference between NP and AP is that the former puts greater weight on high intensity efforts (hence NP is also sometimes called weighted power). E.g. If you ride one hour at 200W steady, both NP and AP will be the same at 200W. Whereas if you ride one hour alternating a minute at 300W followed by a minute at 100W, your AP will still be 200 but your NP will be higher, reflecting the fact that it’s a harder workout even though the average is the same.

Revisiting this thread - how much fan is enough fan?
Currently have one of those Vornado fans. I’m not sweating buckets but definitely sweating a lot on TR workouts. Thinking about adding a second Lasko. Is that + the Vornado enough to do the trick? How would you recommend positioning them given the Lasko seems to be a lot more powerful?

I’ve gone from a small fan like a Vornado to a bog-standard tilting box fan to a Lasko. The biggest jump was from the small fan to the tilting fan, with minor improvements to the Lasko. The tiny fan was infinitely better than nothing, but I still felt wet with sweat and like I actively wanted more cooling. The box fan kept my jersey dry and felt generally good. The lasko is a bit better than B, but also much quieter, smaller, and easier to position.

I’ve gone from a typical office floor mounted fan to one of the Vacmaster fans from the “Lasko fans for the UK” thread. Night and day difference. Whereas previously I’d be starting to undo my top after the warm-up ramps, if not removing it altogether, now I can make it to the end of a hour’s VO2max workout with my top undone to about halfway. On an endurance workout like Pettit, there aren’t even any beads of sweat on my brow!

My Vacmaster is set on a cabinet about 500mm off the floor and aimed just below my face - I can dip down to cool my head or sit up slightly to cool my torso.

I warm up without my fan then I turn it on. Maybe my fan isn’t enough. Indoor FTP=222 and that is only because I manually put it there, my last ramp test was at 217, outdoor FTP=244.
:man_shrugging:

I have never trained with a fan indoors. I sweat, but I feel this helps my body adapt to cooling better. I have seen FTP increases since Jan something around the 18% mark.

Coach Chad also said in a podcast that training without a fan will increase your Vo2 Max and FTP higher and quicker.

This is where I got it from…47mins in. The only fan I really have access to is one of those hot. & cold Dyson ones, not sure it would make a difference.

This is chasing a small marginal gain when you’re leaving a huge gain on the table. Chasing heat adaptation gains is something you should throw in the mix in the final run-in to an event - maybe the last two weeks of training.

The vast majority of your training should be done while adequately cooled. Buy a fan, buy a good fan, buy two good fans. You will see immediate performance improvements in your indoor training, allowing harder training and a higher FTP

5 Likes

looks like I am buying a fan!

I found this topic looking for an explanation why I suffered a great deal in the first 20 minutes of today’s ride without a fan nor an air-con, breathing in 33 degrees celcius (~92F) of tropical air. After gasping with a higher than normal HR for a good part of the ride, I ended up turning on the AC full power and let the air blew straight on me. HR slowly recovered and the gasping stopped.

I live in the topics and would say that I am accustomed to hot, humid weather. In fact, I have never had any ride with a fan before. But, the experience today hanged my mind good: I’m buying a fan! Riding with a fan or the impact of overheating should be on a bike trainer 101.

1 Like