Iñigo San Millán training model

ism said he applies almost same methods than at all his other riders or amateurs. he’s just very gifted and works perfectly.

1 Like

This. Surely you could mess him up with a bad training modality. But if you just are somewhat sensible in the hierarchy of endurance training needs he will always be fine.

People not acknowledging this are the same who say everybody should train like a cyclocross racer because MvdP and WvA are ripping it apart in the world tour. Wonder why both of these then ride so far ahead of every other Cyclocross athlete and where all the other cyclocross riders are on the podidums of the world tour… :wink:

1 Like

A German newspaper, Tagesspiegel, runs a feature on ISM and his “mitochondria training” today. Nothing new for us, however, there is one little snippet which is interesting. McNulty does not seem to be overly sold on this “special” training. Or at least on its uniqueness.

That’s the theory which does not necessarily translate to real world improvments. When asked by Tagesspiegel, Pogacar’s team mate Brandon McNulty did not notice any relevant changes in his body due to the mitochondria training. “We train normally, eat normally, the classic preparation,” said the American.

2 Likes

ISM is using the same methods now as he did when he was the Doctor for some of these teams; Vitalicio Seguros, ONCE, Saunier Duval, and Astana plus he’s worked with the following riders; Joseba Beloki, Chris Horner, Leonardo Piepoli, David Millar, and Alexander Vinokourov.

It’s a pretty successful formula for sure.

4 Likes

I don’t want to derail the thread, but given the names you provided, I couldn’t help but notice Beloki, Piepoli, Millar and Vinokourov had one more thing in common, not just ISM …

1 Like

this has been a topic in this thread before. To cite Jonathan Vaughters on accusations in this direction:

This is just stupid. Do you know Inigo’s history? do you know how he got kicked off all kinds of teams for trying to convert them to a non-doping philosophy? Do you know how he got physically assaulted by a rider because he told team management the rider’s blood values were off? He was messed up pretty bad.

This guy is one of the real forces to change things behind the scenes. One of the few in the medical field that instead of A. Giving up on cycling or B. going ahead and doping the crap out of guys, decided he would get in the middle of it and try to convert guys to a more healthy philosophy. And his career suffered for years because of that stance.

4 Likes

Apparently he spent all his time coaching them insisting that they refrain from using any PED’s?

Good on him for trying to clean up the sport.

2 Likes

I love ISM. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy. If I were his good friend I’d ask him over a glass of wine why he would stand in the shadows of all these dopers and help them succeed with training. ISM talks glowingly of Indurain but it’s pretty clear he was part of the first part of the EPO generation. There’s no way he could have won in those years without doping.

I’m sure it’s complicated. You love cycling and don’t want to leave it so you try and change it from the inside out but you end up being Don Quixote.

I have to jump in here too… an ex pro friend of mine confirmed that ISM is/was strongly anti doping…

1 Like

To me its inconceivable that he would be involved in any doping. I’m normally very cynical about this type of thing but on all the podcasts I’ve listened to he comes across a really genuine guy whose motivation for appearing on them is not for personal gain but to encourage others to adopt a philosophy of training that will not only benefit them for cycling but also give long term health benefits. If it was discovered that he was involved in the murkier side of things I would imagine that his reputation as a leading cancer researcher (his day job) would be in tatters. It appears to me he is a genuinely good guy.

4 Likes

I must admit this puzzles me a little as well. His love for Indurain. However, I’m still very uncertain about Indurain. I will never forget his facial expression during the 1996 TdF when the others destroyed him. This was pure disbelief, how could the others still fly like this. Either he did not dope or the others were better. I guess this was the early phase of EPO, still much to be learned about how to use it.

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, didn’t want to accuse anyone of suppose anything.
Just wanted to make a remark that seemed interesting to me, but it came off inappropriate.

1 Like

I can’t blame anyone for these for making these connections.

2 Likes

I say this as an Indurain fan and a fan of cycling for decades (I’m 55).

When you look at his career, you have to wonder. Sure he’s a great rider as all pros are but he didn’t win the Tour until 27 years old. For the first 8 years of his career, he had a few nice results but nothing major except Paris-Nice. Then he goes on to be the dominator at the Tour and in TTs. Usually the greats show their colors much earlier. If you look at the Not Normal analysis, some of his performances were “mutant”, right up there with Pantani, Armstrong, and Riis.

I actually applaud Indurain for getting out when he did. He didn’t keep coming back for 6 or 7. Plus Indurain was a super nice guy by all accounts. Had Armstrong been a nice guy and had he not returned from retirement he might still legitimately own his yellow jerseys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not listened to it yet but a clip of an interview with Matt Rendel
ITV Cycling (@itvcycling) Tweeted: The science of success :dna: #TDF2021

@mrendell spoke to Iñigo San Millán - exercise physiologist and coach of Tadej Pogačar - about the latest research on metabolomics and the physiology of top athletes :arrow_heading_down:

https://www.itv.com/itvcycling/articles/tadej-pogacars-coach-on-the-science-of-success https://twitter.com/itvcycling/status/1413794703133351941?s=20

1 Like

It makes me wonder if one can get the metabolomic testing and use it to inform training.

I get that ISM is a favorite here, I can see it clearly. I’m new to the sport, didn’t follow during the Lance years. I’ve been going back through, on other forums, and reading how people defended riders back then to compare how people are talking about it today.

It. All. Sounds. The. Same.

Back to ISM, he may indeed be one of the good guys. But for shits sake this is one of the most tone deaf interviews I’ve seen in a while. I get defending your guy. But to say this?

He hasn’t achieved those numbers because he has never been challenged. So he’s going slower than last year; the reality is the rest have nothing. Absolutely nothing. They can’t even attack. Within one minute, you have six, seven riders who can’t even attack each other. It is very strange.

My humble opinion is that the pace of all the stage races, the majority of all of the one-week stage races this year, has been faster than the first week of the Tour de France.

The Tour de France in fact has been one of the slowest first weeks, in comparison to the one-week stage races. And yet people are dead.

You only die [go flat out] when you are challenged and then you giveyour best numbers. Now, you only go at your threshold or a little bit above it. That is it. (about Tadej Pogačar)

So the other riders just suck. Cause Pogacar hasn’t even reached his best numbers like he did during training? Even though TdG said he had one of his best 20 min power outputs and was still dropped?

These guys need to get a better PR firm;

The stage to Tignes was ridiculous. When he [Pogačar] attacked, he attacked a little bit below his threshold, and he even decreased the pace significantly in the last one and a half kilometers. He was like, ‘fuckk, man, what is going on here? These guys can’t even follow me.

We already saw the time trial, that is where we asked, ‘wait, what is going on here?’ Tadej did a very good time trial, as expected. But wow,he put a whole world into the others. That is when we thought, ‘wait, something is wrong here.’ And sure, we saw that in the next days too.

Pogacar had to slow down?, Lol. It’s not that he’s going so fast…everyone else just sucks.

That’s your explanation?

I’ve enjoyed every stage of this tour. Been a blast to watch. Whatever they’re doing training wise, keep it up.

1 Like

Please keep the TDF speculation and conversation to the speculation thread, not the ISM training thread.

You can discuss here should you so choose: Tour de France 2021 - Speculation and Gossip

7 Likes

Just had a quick google of it and I think we are some way off this filtering down and being available to us mere mortals.

Ok, thanks for pointing me over there. I’ll keep my posts better siloed going forward.