Ibis ripley too slack?

i’m looking for a xcountry / trail bike that I can race in longer endurance races (light and a good climber) but can also handle the technical rocks and roots of New England. I was all set on the Ripley, but i do a lot of lower speed twisty climbs and I heard that the head-tube angle makes the ripley tough to handle at low speeds…just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

This bike is mentioned in a range of threads. It can be a great option.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/search?q=ibis%20ripley

i looked at those threads, but they did not address the issue of slower climbing…

1 Like

If you are referring to the latest Ripley, V4, I don’t think you will have any issues with the head angle at low speeds. I have had a few XC bikes and the Ripley handles extremely well in tight twisty stuff. For long endurance races you would be hard pressed to find a better bike.

3 Likes

I’ve been riding super twisty trails on my V4 Ripley for about 6 months, I wouldn’t sweat the cornering capability (east coast rider here too) - but consider going to a 51mm offset fork if snappy cornering is a priority for you. I’m a hold out for this offset selection as the fashion for shorter offset forks seems to become more the norm. Nutshell for 29" fork offset; 44 offers more high speed stability at the price of low speed maneuverability, while 51 gives up a little high speed stability but offers a snappier feel when navigation turns. Don’t let the marketing sway you, just because a bike brand recommend shorter offsets doesn’t mean you have to. Plus, consider where Ibis is located - those trails are very different from our east coast.

Oh, and allow me to gush a bit - this bike is in the running for favorite mountain bike ever and I’ve owned my fair share. The only downside for endurance racing might be the frame weight, there are lighter bikes out there but I definitely keep the Ripley on the short list.

2 Likes

super helpful! thank you. didnt think about the offset

1 Like