I don't need a power meter

Great summary @trswem. You nailed it there.

@Johnnyvee - I use a Stages single (left) crank arm. I have two road bikes and have one for each. Don’t worry about just being 54. Some day you’ll catch up with us old farts.

1 Like

if you train on a smart trainer and use the power from that you dont need one

The main problem with power meters is that atthis time there is no set standard for power meters, so everyone who publishes ±% figures is fixing it to effectively to a moving target.

Also you will get different readings from your trainer and the power meter which again makes trying to ride to number a bit pointless.

For me though I do race, I train to power indoors but outside either training or racing (im lucky enough to train with a pro continental team riders) it would be too dangerous to be staring at anything but the other riders and the road or trail.

1 Like

I could easily prove why any type of cyclist can benefit from a Power Meter.

1st Year…

Just go ride and don’t even think about power being captured by the Power Meter.

Dump all the captured data into Golden Cheetah.

At the end of the year open up Golden Cheetah and look at Trends

Once here, click on Aerobic Power and that notes of your ‘Sprint Power’

See anything you like as in your 5 second power that you want to work on?

Now click on Anaerobic Power and that notes your ‘Time Trial/Climbing Power’

See something like your 5 minute power and that’s what you want to work on?

Or just capture all that Power Data and upload it to Starva, then link intervals.icu and see what type of rider you are.

Once you have the answers, use TrainerRoad to get Better and Faster.

Or smile, sell the power meter and know that you should stop being a Club Rider as clearly you no desire to beat the pack and be the first back into the parking lot! :wink:

In all seriousness, it take a couple years to really see why a Power Meter is a game changer if you want to become better!

Otherwise, get a Single Speed Beater Bike and ride around without a care in the world!

Now you also know why I have 3 bikes!

The Club Race Bike
The Single Speed Bike
The Fat Bike

Only one has a Power Meter… the rest are for Pure Ignorant Joy! :slight_smile:

4iiii, left-only.

2 Likes

Why do we keep responding thoughtfully to people who are probably just trolling the forum? This guy started a convo on why he isn’t going to use a PM.

Then has not participated in the conversation and has not started a constructive conversation to begin with.

He isn’t going to use a PM. Then end.

2 Likes

Trolling or not I enjoyed reading the thoughtful posts!

2 Likes

I agree with your headline assertion: you don’t need a power meter.

It’s trendy in my region to have a power meter on your bike but not have the reading on your headset. ‘I don’t pay attention to power when I’m racing.’ :wink: So just save some money and don’t buy the power meter.

On the other hand, you could pick one up for a lot less than $500, probably.

But once you do, you’ll swear it’s the best thing ever. Because only a dope spends $500 on something he doesn’t need. And you’re not a dope…sooooo

That’s his problem.

We get the final word.

Someone will search “I don’t need a power meter” some months or years down the road, come across this thread, and read up on all the reasons why he should get one.

1 Like

Yes, you need a power meter. And a heart rate monitor. This is key. You need both. In isolation, the two are useful but together they are well above the sum of their parts.

HRM: will tell you how hard your engine is revving
Power: will tell you how much that engine is actually producing as it revs

It’s at the INTERSECTION of the numbers from both these devices that is the key to structured training and improvement.

If you don’t give a toss about improving, then you wouldn’t be reading this forum…

Hi, I have used a stages 3 gen 3 PM and they are not worth the money and very unreliable. The improvement of my riding over the years hasnt got any better with a powermeter. Save yourself the money and if your into stats or training for a ironman challenge then get one, but at 50 i couldnt care about stats and just enjoy the ride and the company your in happy riding.

1 Like