How to soften cycling jerseys

I bought a cycling jersey from my university bookstore. Unfortunately the material is pretty rough, not sure if its the polyester or the silk screening process. Washing doesn’t seem to help take the edge off.

Anyone else have advice on softening up the material to make it palpable for longer rides?

You can try fabric softener in your wash, but not likely to make a big difference. Basically you get what you pay for as far as quality and comfort. Not really a way to make it something it’s not. Maybe a nice breathable base layer so the jersey isn’t touching your skin.

2 Likes

Yeah, fabric softener can clog the pores too and make that jersey hotter than it probably already is with that material. Maybe TMI, but I remember back in the day those cheap jerseys could cause some bloody nipple rash.

You don’t want to see some of the pics of my running shirts after really hot, humid runs…:scream::scream::scream:

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything you can do about the fabric…Maybe try wearing a base layer underneath it?

Base layers are great for hot/cold weather (depending on which one you buy of course) but if it’s hot something like this can help wick away sweat under your jersey and give you a nicer feeling on your skin:

2 Likes

Do they have a maker space around? Maybe you can laser a bunch of holes into the silk screening.
A leather poker wheel thing can do the same thing, but with bigger holes spaced wider.

Destruction risk- try they dryer with ever increasing heat levels and a couple of towels. You can also try scoring the think print with an exacto knife. You might also try shaving it down with a screen type sandpaper.

I don’t think you’re going to overcome thick screen printing without destroying it. Maybe the the graphics file and make your own jersey.

A lot of the stiffer jerseys are some versions of bamboo. These never soften, they are just too hearty.