How to clean/wash heart rate monitor strap?

I just recently bought a Stages HR monitor strap. Can someone please tell me how to clean the strap? The transmitter detaches from the strap. But I am afraid if I soak the strap it might ruin the two contact patches and/or the buttons that clip the strap to the transmitter.

1 Like

Right after riding, rinse under lukewarm water, towel dry, hang.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s true. The strap is soaked at the end of a hard workout anyways.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been throwing my Wahoo strap in the washing machine with my kit and hanging it dry. Seems fine.

7 Likes

I think the straps are fully waterproof but I avoid the washing machine less the strap inadvertently end up in the dryer (which I assume is bad).

I just get some hand soap on it and wash it by hand in the sink every couple months or so. When washing I hit the electrode patches with a fingernail brush. My Wahoo does not seem to care much but Iā€™ve had straps in the past that had performance issues from whatever that nasty crud is that can collect on the electrode patches.

1 Like

Throw it in the washing machine

2 Likes

The Garmin ones have sticker that says to wash them at 40C in the washing machine every 7 uses.

The straps with the detachable unit, the newer ones without a detachable unit you should just wash hy hand.

2 Likes

I always shower after my workouts so I just wash the strap with warm water right when I hop in and hang it out to dry.
I have used the washing machine as well but want to avoid all the tumbling around in there as it might damage the strap in the long term, plus its noisy :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

LOL Iā€™ve never washed mine, I just hang it to dry on my handlebars after a ride :smiley:

4 Likes

Washing machine works perfectly for me.

1 Like

Lol thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been doingā˜šŸ½But the salt is starting to build up!

2 Likes

+1ā€¦ and doing so builds character.

1 Like

Warm water rinse after rides, and washing machine once a week here. Sometimes they accidentally make their way into the dryer too, but no adverse effects thus far.

I must not be a salty sweater, mine looks fine, even after years of abuse :smiley:

I take mine into the shower with me and rinse. Job done. Get off the bike, shower, rinse. Dry. Repeat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same, use a Garmin one, the old type with the large transmitter strap and have never washed it.

1 Like

I have the exact same one!! :smiley:

Try sniffing itā€¦

2 Likes

I throw mine in the washing machine. Without the module of course. Although I did leave the module attached for one wash :astonished:. I was worried, but it has been working since, no worries.

1 Like

I have had my Garmin since 2015 and all I do is rinse it off, module and all, with plain water in the garage sink along with my helmet (for outdoor rides) and headsweats after each ride. Then hang everything up to dry. Other than changing battery about once a year I havenā€™t had any issues with it.

1 Like