How to adjust TSS for a completed workout?

Hi guys.

How can I adjust the TSS for a completed workout?

I am using the great new Calendar function and attempting to forecast my weekly TSS, however I find the TSS values associated to the workouts are generally between 12 and 15 higher than those calculated by Training Peaks based upon my heart rate or pace zones. As the TR TSS appears to be generic, I feel that the TP values are more reliable.

I note that it is possible to change the name and the FTP for a completed workout but have not managed to find how the TSS can be adjusted. Thus am needing to make calculations and remove circa 60-75 TSS points per week from Run and Swim workouts to allow TR to provide an accurate picture.

Appreciate any advice.

cheers

lee

I don’t think you can edit the TSS as it is read from the file.
Edit. I should say calculated from the file contents.

Appreciate your comment John.

As the TSS is a calculation of time against intensity (IF), I wonder if TR calculate a different TSS for each user based upon the intensity factor of their own FTP?

Otherwise is unlikely to be correct for most users as everyones intensity response to a stimulus will be different.

lee

** have changed to a feature request **

Yes, that’s exactly how it works but given that IF will be exactly the same for two riders with different FTP doing the same workout (based on %FTP) there would be no reason for TSS to be different. If the recorded power matches the ERG file exactly the actual and predicted TSS would be the same.

If you have power for a workout (which you must) and have your FTP set the same on both TrainerRoad and TrainingPeaks the TSS will be exactly the same as both are using the same formulas. The hrTSS that is calculated is just a guess based on time in zones. For cycling it is better to use TSS.

There’s a good article on the TrainingPeaks blog explaining the differences and why TSS is better that hrTSS.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks Mike

I had overlooked the variance between TSS and hrTSS and agree with you that power based feedback has a higher accuracy.

Appreciate your response.

lee

1 Like

No worries.

Mike