Help me with MTB tire selection

I get what you’re saying, but Pro’s almost run just one tyre. The fastest their sponsor makes.

Scott-SRAM on the Aspen, TFR on the XR1, Thomus on the Thunder Burt (or Ralph).

It takes quite a lot of skill to comfortably run those tyres, especially on the front, and most of us are desperately searching for where we land on the spectrum of speed/skill.

1 Like

Yup.
This is a good point: people with excellent bike handling skills (such as pros) will often use faster tires, and they compensate for the lack in grip with skill. But I think this is another instance of “Don’t do like the pros do.” If a slower tire increases your confidence on the bike, it might be worth it.

Plus, when you are just riding, it really is a question of terrain. If I were to ride in Chile again, I’d use very different tires than in muddy terrain. Another aspect is how fast you can descend safely: many routes also serve hikers, and you should be a good citizen and not barrel down the descents.

How do Specialized Renegades compare to Maxxis Rekons? Are Specialized Fast Traks slightly faster than Ground Controls and slightly than Renegades and Rekons but a little more grippy than the Renegades and Rekons?

Rekon is more like ground control. A fast trail tire, quite aggressive compared to XC race tires. You’re correct on the order of the specialized tires (GC/Rekon, Fast Trak, Renegade in order of grippiest to fastest).

1 Like

I’ll add my two cents on the Mezcals since not too many people have commented on them: I got a pair for Leadville 2021 and they were great for that. Fast on the roads, light enough for the climbs, grip is adequate. Now that is not a very tech race so keep that in mind. I live in New England and they have not been used since. We have a ton of roots rock loam and it just doesn’t have enough grip

2 Likes

I feel the same way about Conti RaceKing, Spec Renegade and to some extent Maxxis Aspen. For races that are more like steep gravel races (Leadville, Wilmington Whiteface 100k, etc) they’re the perfect tire. If the course has lots of technical turns, they’re not ideal for most people.

2 Likes

It seems like the better question is: What is the fastest trail tire out there?

1 Like

There is no answer. Here are just a few factors:

• Do you want to go fast uphill or downhill?
  • What terrain do you want to ride?
  • What is the weather like? Do you encounter mud or wet forest floor? Or is it arid and you are fighting the antigrip dust that is scattered across the Chilean Andes?
  • How much puncture protection do you need?

Tires, especially offroad tires, are always a compromise.

3 Likes

I’ve used the Mescals and the Maxis. My 2cents is that for the Mescals, they look cool but for slimy new England roots not enough. The barzo’s are much better as others have mentioned but they don’t come in tan sidewall (but the grey sidewall is pretty cool) The maxis surprised me with their toughness (have never flatted and they have not worn down despite 100’s of miles) I think the tread compound is not really that sticky but run them low and they are good to go, but as others have mentioned they are heavy. Don’t really like the ground controls, they felt slow and the tread packs up mud

1 Like

I can confirm that Ground Controls are not ideal for mud… This was my first and last time using them in these conditions.

3 Likes

I don’t feel like reading through all the posts but Rekons are heavy and slow. I love maxxis but wouldn’t use those tires if you’re looking for speed and responsiveness. Rekon is ok on the front. Prefer ikons on the rear. Haven’t tried rekon race. However, I’m a 130 pound woman and the effect might not be so strong if you’re like a 180 pound man.

1 Like

`Mostly Uphill
All terrain, from fire roads to nasty rock gardens, roots, steep loose gravel
Very mild wet terrain
I don’t want to be worried about flatting.

I used the mezcal in the northeast for a few years, and quite liked them. 2.35 is pretty versatile

1 Like

Went with this. Very happy with the decision.

Since this got bumped, I’m currently pleased with a Barzo/Mezcal 2.3" pairing for all-around XC riding/racing.

A Barzo/Barzo pairing would also work well - more rear grip but slightly higher rolling resistance.

For a more trail focused setup, but still keeping it somewhat raceable, I’d probably pick Rekons.

1 Like

Was a fan of mezcal front and rear, but am going to go Aspens once my current tires are worn down.

I wish I had the skill/balance to pull off a Mezcal/Mezcal or other dedicated race setup.

I’m always amazed at what elites/pros can do on relatively skinny, treadless tires.

1 Like