Help me build a gravel bike!

Also, IMO hooked (AKA crochet) is the only way to go. Hookless wheels are less safe. For example Enve says that you can only use tires that they have approved with their hookless rims. And the tires have to be tubeless compatible even if you run tubes in them. That’s ridiculous to pay so much money for wheels to be told you have a list of like a dozen tires you can use.

You said, " “a rim wider than 17mm will make the tires wider.”

I’m saying, not necessarily. If you disagree than we can agree to disagree. My photos are more than clear evidence to the contrary.

Also, tubeless makes it all more complicated. Successful tubeless setups, especially with road tires, are not straightforward. You have to do your research there, including making sure others have had success with that same rim and tire combination.

Ok, I said not to overthink it, but actually it is complex. What I meant is I wouldn’t try to spec out custom wheels or go tubeless unless you want to do a bunch of research. It’s much easier to use tubes and either buy a complete wheel or use a good custom builder that will ask the right questions and set you up with something great.

1 Like

I think my statement still stands. I said a wider rim will make a tire wider, meaning wider than a narrower rim will make that same exact tire. (Edit: I didn’t say that it would always be wider than labeled, just wider than on the narrow rim). Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

You haven’t shown that that exact tire wouldn’t be narrower on a narrower rim (that is hooked or hookless, whatever matches the one you already measured).

I even showed (the BRR link) that your tire is likely to measure smaller (27 mm) in a narrower rim (17 mm). But NOBODY can prove it either way without measuring your exact tire on another rim due to variation among all tires of your same model.

That Mavic link that I posted agrees with me. I could find a dozen more people supporting my point. Can you find one to support your stance?

I’m saying that is not necessarily the case. You state it as if it is certain to happen. I am saying and also showing through pictures that a wider internal/external wheel will not necessarily cause the tire to “grow” beyond its stated width.

If you choose not to believe then it’s ok but you are not going to convince me that my tire ballooned out to something wider than it was market on the package or measured prior to installation. It did not and I posted the pictures. I’m simply adding to the point that it will not necessarily happen that way. I’m not saying it’s impossible.

It’s all good if you disagree, you don’t need to try to convince me.

I see that you keep thinking that I am saying wide rims make a tire wider than labeled. I am not saying that. I am saying if you measure a specific tire on a narrow rim, and that same tire on a wider rim, with no other variables changing, then the tire will be wider on the wider rim than it was on the narrow rim. (Edit: that could be wider or narrower than labeled)

I am saying that you can’t trust the labeled tire width. The label is supposed to represent the true width (to the nearest millimeter) of the tire measured at some fixed conditions (including a 17 mm rim). BUT in reality, many tires aren’t labeled per that standard and production variation is real.

And even the standard isn’t meant to guarantee the exact width, just an approximation. So instead you have to find reports from other people that measured the actual width. Like yours.

I am not saying that your tires are bigger than labeled. In fact, your tires, is measured by the standard, would likely measure 27 mm and really should be labeled 27c.

1 Like

I didn’t read much farther to see what answers you got. But I put on a set of DT Swiss GRC 1400s on my gravel build and they are pretty incredible. Great feel, wide inner rim, and smooth hubs. I would more than recommend the 1600 version as a well priced wheelset. If you are just sticking your toe in then you may not want to go full out with the 1400 version unless you find a good price.

Before settling on the DT Swiss I compared the Mavic Allroad Pro SL, the Enve G23, the Roval Terra CLX, and the HED Eroica wheels.

At the speeds you say you want to run, I’d suggest the HED Eroica, the Mavic Allroad, and the DT Swiss GRC 1600. All will be a decent price, not aero deep, but will give you a wide inner rim to fit a range of tires. Just be honest with yourself on the “smallest” tire you want to have on that wheelset. I chose the DT Swiss 1400 in the end because I didn’t think I’d ever go less than 35mm tires on that wheelset.

1 Like