Headlight recommendations

How does the mount work? Is it easily detachable?

In the first picture, the light is released from its mount by pulling up on the red disc. The whole mount system is metal, not plastic, including the light and the fitting to the mount, so it’s durable. The arm that has the red disc is attached to the GoPro mount on the underside of the K-Edge Garmin mount just as any GoPro compatible thing would be. I remove the lift to charge out of convenience: there’s no plug where I keep the bike for one, and I can work on or clean the bike without bothering with the light if it’s charging (also, when charging it’s on a table with a power strip that’s also charging my helmet-mounted light and my tail light, so everything’s together). However, the charge port is readily accessible when mounted.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and I think I’m going to go for the mk15. I may also get the axis Mk8 for my helmet too.

I’ve just ordered the Race Mk15 too based on the comments and feedback here - thanks

2 Likes

Did you just get it from wiggle? A moment ago it said there was one in stock…

Exposure Race MK15 Front Light (winstanleysbikes.co.uk)

I suggest you look at the Lupine Piko [edit: apparently my Piko R has been replaced by a new Piko… they also have beefier helmet lights] for the helmet-mounted light. It’s 1900 lumens for over an hour (though the time shortens as the battery degrades). It has a separate battery, which means you can swap out for a new battery when necessary, and a remote control option (noted above, see the closeup side view) to switch from high - medium - low or a long press for off (the options are customizable with their app).

Also, the hinge on the light means you can easily adjust the angle on the fly, which I do when descending or ascending.

You can see where the battery is mounted. There is a spare battery (an old battery, tbh) on the table with the current battery in the cradle attached to the helmet and plugged into the charger instead of the light. (And the ExposureLight is showing charged at 100%.)
IMG_0112

Closeup of the light itself. There’s no need to touch the light, except to angle if necessary, because of the remote. I like that it’s mounted forward and not on top.

Some things to consider.

2 Likes

All of the above Exposure photos seem to show k edge mounts. Has anyone fitted one to an official Garmin mount?

They arrived yesterday!! I went for an Exposure Strada RS activ with an Exposure Joystick for my helmet. I can’t wait to get out in the next few days to try them out.

I bought a Garmin/go pro adapter from Raceware along with the 3 pronged adapter.

I figured that I would use it on the road too so the Strada would be the compromise.

Just ordered a Lupine SL AX for the Monster Cross bike: Lupine Lighting Systems - Bike lights • Road bike lights • SL AX

Most of my rides are road and trail so the StVZO Low beam + trail High beam modes are perfect. No GoPro mount but don’t mind relocating the Garmin to a stem mount.

Exposure also good - use their Joystick as a Helmet light sometimes.

1 Like

I use a few different ones depending on time of day. For rides that start before dawn or will finish the last little bit in the dark, I use a Lumina 1800 on my bars and Outbound spotlight on my helmet. For rides that start and finish in the dark, ill usually take my seca 2500 for my bars. Brighter and easily 5 hours of burn time on 2nd to highest setting

I was initially very turned off by outbound due to their “instagram marketing” but they’ve impressed me the most of any light I’ve ever used.

1 Like