Hammerhead Karoo 2

I’m not one to buy to try, intending to return, bu t I’m returning my Karoo2.

I rode 4hrs yesterday and 4hrs today, and it ran out of batteries. FAIL
You can’t lap while on the map page. FAIL
You can’t zoom out, get oriented, and reset zoom without futzing screens, changing orientation, changing centre, and generally pinching the screen with frustration.
You can’t get the device in or off the mount without a forceful crack that sounds like it WILL break something on a cold day FAIL
You can’t upload your ride without connnecting to hotspot and many steps in a deep menu system. FAIL

Seems suitable for people who can put up with a Zwift-level of interface design. It’s a bit shit

6 Likes

just throwing this out there in case anyone wants to try the Karoo 2. I have a used one, and while I love the gps, routing, display, I can’t live without my di2 buttons to toggle between screens. it’s just a deal breaker for me. so if anyone wants to trade straight up for a 530, I’d be more than happy to make the trade. LMK

2 Likes

I agree with @adski. Just wrapped up their 45-day trial. I wanted to really like the K2 but was just too rough around the UX / UI edges for me to live with. It’s boxed and ready for the return trip.

1 Like

For those that have Karoo 2 how has it been thus far?

I’m looking to upgrade, battery life seems a mute point for me as I’m not having long 7+ hour rides. But what does concern me is the software

Had it for two years now, no issues ever and battery life has been good. Longest ride 8/9 hours and it lasted. Using 50/60% brightness.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to accept I will need to manually create the TR workouts to then ride outside and match them up once complete.

But what does concern me is the software

It concerns me too and I own one…

K2 software and software team is way better than garmins.

2 Likes

Very poor of you choosing Garmin as a benchmark :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thats not very difficult is it

2 Likes

TR has been really hesitant to support third parties lately whether devices (e.g., Karoo 2) or services (e.g., intervals.icu, HealFit, etc) I wish that would change. I own a Karoo 2 as well.

1 Like

HH karoo 2 is with 35% discount - at least in the UK.

Is this a sign that K3 is coming soon?

Does anyone else have trouble reading the display? I’m 56 and need reading glasses which I don’t take cycling.

Whilst I can read the fields fine, I cannot read the top line at all, and last night in semi dusk I really struggled to see the start vs pause tiny icons at the bottom of the device.

I don’t believe I can increase the size of either can I?

1 Like

I would increase the brightness and tilt the unit closer to you if possible.
My biggest problem with the K2 I just got is the elevation and grades recorded are rubbish. Total ascent after a ride is 4x what is displayed compared to garmin and Strava. The grade also bounces too much. Will exchange it but support told me the exchanged unit might have the same problem as they don’t know if it’s software or hardware related lol. This after the issues has been investigated since launch.

Stick Tites are you friend. I use them on all my riding glasses now……true game changer for me. I can even read the top line with the time and battery levels now on my Karoo.

That looks great, cheers! Let’s hope they will post to the UK!

@hpsims It makes me shake my head how things are going in reverse on grade/elevation with different companies. The Garmin 1040 is also having grade woes, specifically it is hugely delayed on displaying the grade. It’s essentially showing you the past.

My 1040 has been super reliable so far, except that one time …

Hooray for defying physics and gravity, maybe? This was on the MC Escher trail, incidentally.

1 Like

The “realtime” grade display is what I’m referring to. I’ve experienced it being lagged quite a bit, as have others. I’ll be on flat and it’ll say the current grade is 10% for another 20-30 seconds.

Sorry, that was maybe a little deadpan. The screenshot shows “Grade Remain: 165%” when I was at the top of a small hill.

I know, I meant aside from that obvious silliness. :smiley: