Hammer H2 vs Tacx Neo 2 - Buy now or wait?

I have both of those trainers (and a Kickr17).
CycleOps H2:

• The thru axle support is easier and better than the N2.
  • It’s not super quiet, but it can be very tolerable when used with lower gearing. Keeping the overall “wheel speed” down makes it as quiet as my fans and music.
  • The massive flywheel is my favorite of any trainer I have used (those above plus PowerBeam Pro, Vortex, Magnus, Road Machine).

Tacx Neo 2:

• Is amazingly quiet, but the bike’s drivetrain still makes noise with higher gearing. And as above, the other noise in the room pretty much exceeds the trainer noise in many cases.
  • The virtual flywheel is interesting and good in ways, not so good in others. It’s hard to put into words other than it is “different”.
  • I do love the absence of calibration. (counterpoint, the H2 only needs calibration about once per month if you leave it in the same place, and with a bike installed)

There are likely other attributes to discuss, and I’m happy to answer specific questions to address the stuff I didn’t mention (which is lots :stuck_out_tongue: )

For the right price, I think the H2 is a pure winner. It is a great trainer that is highly underrated IMHO.

To add, since you mention sprinting, I would plan on adding a rocker plate to your setup if you want to do high power sprints, especially out of the saddle. Trying to do that on a rigid setup is not recommended.

5 Likes