Getting hate for being on the trainer

They are insecure and/or envious of your gains but, don’t want to ride a trainer or follow structure themselves. Maybe they are stupid or lack discipline or perhaps just want to be a poser…Either way, in order to feel better and justify their failures they knock down other. Classic loser mentality.

Not saying anything new here, but, it’s really important in sport much like life, to visualize yourself in positive situations rather than negative. Similarly, surround yourself with positive, supporting people.

Carry on and congrats on your gains! Cheers

5 Likes

They are just jealous watching your FTP increase while they just noodle around each week

4 Likes

The “outside vs inside” cycling line of thinking is not exactly correct. You are really comparing unstructured riding vs structured training. Indoors can be unstructured riding (Zwift), and outdoors can be structured training (TR outdoor workouts).

Each of these cycling types has its own rewards and opportunity cost. Decide who you’d like to be and go about being that rider deliberately :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like to call these guys (cuz it’s always guys) ‘Bike Lane Heroes’.

3 Likes

Yeah - I used to HATE the trainer, couldn’t ride 30minutes without hating life and the trainer. Outside rules the road.

Now…I prefer the trainer than outside, I try and get outside once a week to get that road feel. Also take a break mentally. The benefits of riding on a trainer, especially the Lemond, and being absolute in my training, no interruptions, apart from Kids.

But I don’t criticise people for riding indoors or outdoors, or they are doing 15hr-20hr weeks outside. Yet cant ride me off their wheel. Results are what matter. You can ride 10hrs outdoors and 9hr on the trainer is more productive.

Each to their own. Just carry on your own training. Believe in the process.

4 Likes

Ribbing would be joking about it. I’d consider this hating on me, especially since they complained about me trying to drop them after they hassled me about being on a trainer.

Very true.

I haven’t taken much heat for it, but that’s usually because my “I spend most of my time on the trainer” is usually accompanied with “because I have two kids under 4”. And then I proceed to hang with the fast group of 14 hours per week guys juuuuust fine on my measly 5 to 7 hours per week of bike time.

In short, I wouldn’t care one way or the other. The trainer is what works for me. I get outside when I can, and I’m faster outside now than before I started working on the trainer extensively. Frankly, doing the same riding over and over again outside gets just as boring as riding the trainer. Difference is, on the trainer I have unquestionable safety, better time efficiency, and about 1000 workouts I can do without worrying about traffic or stop lights, in addition to some added fun stuff like entertainment or Zwift.

There’s plenty of room for both, and frankly anyone who is doing all one way or all the other is missing out on something that could really improve their enjoyment of their riding, IMO, either by being quite a bit faster or enjoying the fruits of the labor out in the sun.

7 Likes

Payback’s a bitch. :laughing:

1 Like

Most think it’s weird that i ride so much indoor, but quite many of my biggest competetors have started using TR and riding more indoors after seeing my progress and getting dropped too often :D.

2 Likes

They’re just mad 'cuz you got floor seats at the Lakers.

It might be envy. But it isn’t jealousy. I think you’re just hanging around the wrong dudes.

1 Like

Is it possible you’re showing off on a group ride where that’s not recommended

1 Like

I’ve got an 8 year old, a 4 year old, plus my wife works full time so I’m very involved in all kid duties. Add that to my own full time job that includes frequent travel and I’ve got very little time left.

The trainer is the only thing that keeps me consistent. Could care less what others say about it. Yes, I’d rather ride outside everyday, but In reality without it I’d be a couch potato.

4 Likes

This…

But also I want to assume you are talking about roadies who have a copy of the rules on their bedside table. They love do anything which makes themselves feel superior to others. Roadies are a horrible unfriendly bunch in my experience

Petty jealousy because you aren’t getting clobbered anymore is an ugly thing.

Look, this is the deal - there’s group rides that I want to go ride, and events I want to participate in, but I don’t have the legs nor the time to get prepared if I do it outdoors. The Dreadmill is my ticket there, but only since I bought the TR subscription. I chronically overdo outdoor structured workouts when I have a conventional coach.

But when it comes down to it, my outdoor riding is so much more enjoyable since I started training indoors. Not to mention the reduction in the tire bill!

1 Like

Interesting. I also experience this. A lot of cyclists tell me “why ride inside when you can ride outside”, especially when I am at my LBS.

I think riding inside (e.g., structured workouts) and riding outside are not mutually exclusive. For me, I train extremely hard inside, as hard as I can. Just for the “BONUS” of how fast, easy, and comfortable it will be outside somewhere April-May next year here. So I train inside so i can ride more outside, being faster, less fatigued, and that I recover more easily.

4 Likes

I don’t really get hate for it, especially not after my progress after one winter with TR.
A couple of the people I ride with decided they were getting a trainer this winter.

I did feel a bit of ‘shame’ in the beginning, in the sense I just started cycling and I was already buying a trainer for the winter.

For me inside training during the winter is about staying fit and/or getting fitter for the spring/summer/fall when I can ride outside.

But it’s also about safety/risk avoidance. I mean it’s dark by the time I get home from work and when I have time to train. Next to darkness you will have slippery roads (leafs/icing) and faster changing weather.
This doesn’t only apply to me on the bike but also for the cars on the road, who might overlook you sooner.

So I train indoors during the week and try to go outside on the weekend when it’s bright out as I do enjoy riding outside more than inside.

5 Likes

I love outdoors specially mountain biking but if you don’t have the time or the weather to do your stuff outside then inside is the best deal.

I think the issue here (1st post) is more the “hate” he’s getting by leaving those guys behind not the fact of training inside. In groups sometime I leave guys behind but I wait immediately after the end of the climb and I avoid doing that all the time. Sometimes going a little bit slower to get 2 or 3 mates on your wheel makes everybody happier.

I love, love, love riding my bike outside. My Sunday rides keep me sain :joy: That said, the weather during the last two months has been so depressing, it’s literally ground me down to an all time low. I was planning to do a three hour spin but I lasted just over two and pointed the wheels towards home. I got nothing mentally or physically from that ride. Couple this to the task of cleaning the bike and it felt like I’d wasted a significant part of my Sunday.

Riding indoors keeps me focused, ensures I have the opportunity to complete solid work and it really does energise me. I’m positive.

I have nothing but respect for those who ride outdoors throughout the year but as this weather looks set to continue, I cannot find the positives in the experience.

3 Likes