Garmin Varia RCT715

i bought the varia when it came out and am super happy about it, but sad about what i’m seeing about how this new varia is turning out. as with many of the others, i’m probably going to wait for when they fix it or a v2.

however, one thing i do like is the USB-C! gives me hope that they’ll use that for future edge devices (and other things?) in the future.

1 Like

I would assume the app issues are fixable. It does seem that Garmin had no intention of this being an ‘Action Camera’ more so it seems it’s intended usage is evidence creation. In 15 years of cycling I have had exactly ONE incident that video would have been beneficial for evidence purposes.(last Friday at that!) I think the camera quality is ‘passable’ for that, and for that the hoops to retrieve the footage are manageable(still needs to be fixed, it shouldn’t be that difficult! If I need to show said evidence to authorities, I want to be able to pull it off the camera on the side of the road!) Given that there seems to be enough demand for something like this, and that it has taken this long to actually see something on the market, leads me to believe a product like this isn’t as simple and ‘build a Varia with a GoPro in it’.

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, can the video be pulled via USB-C cable or is that charging only?

The really cool thing this presents as a possibility is with newer generation head units, If we can get a high-res screen, an option to display on the HU the camera view upon a radar detection could be extremely useful.

2 Likes

Looks like it shows up as a removeable drive (like a thumb drive) when you connect it to your computer and you can retrieve the files that way:
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-FF49DAFA-3213-4C92-924F-2532424071B1/EN-US/GUID-F7562B57-D601-42BF-B255-9F8AB4ECC023.html

1 Like

Hey @GPLama thanks for the review and color commentary.

Have a related question on the gen2 radar unit.

I had a gen1 radar for ~5 years, and then bought a gen2 radar about 6 months ago. The new one is very sensitive, from group rides and a recent climbing gravel ride it picks up all riders coming up (and passing me) from behind. My gen1 wasn’t that sensitive, it picked up ALL cars, all the time, but only a few riders and only in situations where say I was doing 20mph / 32kph and they were at least 5mph / 8kph faster. Last night I had my bike in the garage after a ride, the radar was facing the garage door about 6-8 feet away, I walked between and my 530 light up and beeped. Its that sensitive. A couple of dudes on Wed group ride are teasing me.

Have you seen the same?

Anyone else?

I’m thinking of calling Garmin and seeing if they think an exchange is going to deliver a better result. Although with my luck the new one would be the opposite and require another exchange :rofl:

1 Like

Yup, I have tripped the alert from waking up behind the bike/radar on the RTL510.

3 Likes

Ride faster…problem solved.

10 Likes

I’ve actually considered a minor “cheat” for racing and active group rides. I get a bit of a notice if people are closing in after knowing I was clear behind :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I see the same with mine - It picks up faster bikers quite regularly, and I also can trigger it walking around in the garage. This doesn’t bother me too much, but if they could still get all the cars and detect less bikes that would be an improvement. My guess would be that it’s hard to tell the difference between a motorcyclist and a bicyclist, and that they err on the side of over-reporting.

1 Like

That settles it, I’m heading to bike shop for an e-bike!

its a little annoying when we are flying back from the river in a tailwind, with 10+ peeps and the jockeying for position sets off the radar over and over and over again.

2 Likes

Going back to the Cerevellum I linked to above, people on Slowtwitch were complaining at the time that it could be used to cheat in triathlons since athletes could use it to monitor when officials were coming up from behind and then drop out of the draft before they got busted. But could also be used for a visual heads up when people are attacking in bike races!

2 Likes

I don’t have the newer version but the one right before and don’t really mind it picks up me walking, etc as I would rather have that than it not being sensitive enough.

Like I said before though I LOVE my Varia and best purchase for cycling and many people have bought one in my family and friends and they are also very happy with it.

This version “might” not be for me but I will wait a little to see if the kinks get worked out which I am assuming they will over time. I have no thoughts a camera will make a big difference but might be good to have just in case.

3 Likes

Correct, you can. Just remember that there’s hundreds, if not thousands of files. A two-hour ride results in 240 files to sift through (30-second blocks). Note the app doesn’t work unless via WiFi, meaning, you can’t connect via USB like a GoPro can to your phone and manage pieces that way.

As for the file chunking, Cycliq allows that to be configurable, up to 15 minute chunks (logical).

Like Shane, I was super excited about this release in the briefings. And then when it came to my first rides, I was full lof questions and disappointment. Each question led to more questions, more confusion, and more disappointment. The dream is so good! The execution less so.

13 Likes

Hey There!

I actually watched your video about the RCT715 this morning on the trainer! I must say, I was disappointed to hear the underwhelming nature of this product. I hope Garmin takes your (and GPLama’s and Desfit’s) criticisms to heart and come back with the product we had all hoped for. I follow your reviews closely and never purchase a piece of cycling tech without first checking your site/YouTube channel. I very much appreciate the honest, detailed and non-sponsored angle of your reviews as that vantage point is becoming more of a rarity these days.

Anywho, don’t want to derail the thread - back on track!

2 Likes

Have SOS’d with an InReach. Chopper did show up. 10/10

4 Likes

Hopefully the 1040 is less of a mess than this concept execution.

1 Like

Another disappointed potential customer here.

I had high hopes for this after having my RTL510 for almost 3 years now. It has been an outstanding piece of gear that just works for me. Paired with my 830 I never have to do anything other than charge it. Get of the bike, start the ride and the 510 automatically turns on. Get home and end the ride and it automatically turns itself off. It has never failed to alert me of an approaching vehicle or given me a false positive.

If they can fix some of the issues I’ll put it back on my wish list but until then I’ll soldier on with my 510.

1 Like

I had recently decided to add radar to my bike, but I trust both @GPLama and @dcrainmaker and neither review inspires ANY real confidence in this product.

Which radar unit would be generally recommended for recreational cyclists thinking of buying right now? For me, the light isn’t a huge value-add since I have a Vya Pro taillight and I’m happy with it, but then I see nothing wrong with having two lights, either. :grin:

Varia without the camera.

As Shane said, (I think), there are two types of riders: those who have a Varia and love it, and those who don’t have a Varia.

I held off for a long time, then got one for Christmas this year, and I love it.

I’d get the one with the light, personally. It changes when it detects a car, and that is more likely to get the driver’s attention.

9 Likes
3 Likes

also, as @dcrainmaker mentions in his review; the 515 has a better battery that the 315. I’ll be going to REI shortly to grab a 515.

2 Likes