Garmin Low Training Readiness - Move Workout or Skip

It depends, but in general skip the workout and don’t try and catchup.

I believe the end results of these algorithms can be tricky to read but how about TR using the garmin health API:

so some of that data can be used to train the AI models. I not saying base decisions just off this data or even a major driver like Garmin with training readiness, but as extra data points that have a bit of influence. Or, at least could show that some of the data fields should just be ignored.

From everything I can see it seems like TR only knows about the workouts you do in TR and only a subset (biking and running) of activities recorded elsewhere (strava, garmin, etc) so it has no knowledge of the rest of your life. If I do a hard hike over the weekend or just lay in bed, TR won’t know so the model it uses to figure out what you should do isn’t influenced at all. If I can’t sleep well one night but can some other night or have a hard day at work one day (stress), TR knows nothing about that to influence adaptive training for you. This seems like a big limitation.

I feel like this is only true for those who are good at listening to their body and knowing the right way to react. But I feel like this isn’t really true for those who are already bad at this either because they don’t pick up well of the various sensations or because they interpret them wrong.

For example say your legs are sore which isn’t very specific (lots of versions of soreness and levels of soreness) and they feel as though soreness is bad (should I train when sore? Will this make me have less power?). That negative association means when they listen to their body and their body is saying their legs are sore they won’t really want to ride so less motivation. Should they always have less motivation when they feel any amount of soreness?

Thanks. I’m not really talking about catching up. I’m going to skip, which is not even in question. What I’m asking is, when I skip (for example yesterday), when I return, should I start with the workout that was on the day I skipped (yesterday in this example) or start with the next workout on the calendar? When I think about this logically, each of these workouts are targeting a different system, so not moving a missed workout might have more of a negative impact on progress. I’m curious what the TR folks think.

I’ve bounced back from the fever thankfully, and my HRV is recovering!

I didn’t see what volume plan you are working on. Without that info from you into hard to provide advice on move or skip. Low Volume - move. Mid or high volume - skip. As long as your are letting AT work your future workouts within the system you missed will be adapted, or not, correctly.

Mid volume.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. When I skip a workout it means I miss the scheduled workout and don’t try and catch it up by doing it a day or two later. I just miss that workout and pick-up at the next scheduled one.

1 Like

Thanks.