Garmin HRV to guide training?

months sounds too long but I wonder if it’s a seasonal drop? hrv does decline in the winter and it can also drop with things like poor sleep or it being too hot where you sleep due to cranking up the heat.

mine has been low for a couple of weeks but so far no readjusting. I followed it initially and even took some days off . it didn’t really rebound, probably because my sleep sucked but my sleep always sucks (I always get a poor score according to Garmin). and it continued to decline and put me in the strained training status. but then I ignored it and did a zwift race and felt really strong. a couple of days later I did a hard run setting PRs followed later by soccer. so I think hrv is pretty unreliable at least for me using this setup. I’m doubtful my Garmin watch is even tracking it accurately but I’m not going to wear a heart rate monitor all night every night so I don’t think there’s any pragmatic way to get a more accurate assessment.

1 Like

I’m a Whoop user. I don’t use the recovery score to direct my training. I use it to guide my recovery and rest.

How do you see those two things as different?

How are you using this data?

I’m just observing the data at the moment to gain any insights from it.

I’ve used various HRV tools in the past (HRV4Training, Elite HRV, Apple Watch with this Athlytic Pro Bullshit app), but none of these apps could break down my HRV in a way that I really understand.

I have to clarify that Garmin looks much better, the feature is still relatively new, so more data is needed over a longer period of time, means you have everything in the same eco-system, in third-party apps you have to import your data through others Third-party apps and then some of the data is wrong, such as B. HRV4Training via TrainingPeaks via Garmin and so on.

1 Like

One thing I do to try and anticipate the next few days is to look mainly at the 7day average (HRV4T’s) baseline and see if the trend is up or down. Generally if its down I assume I’m heading for fatigue and just back off a little. Quite subjective really though. one thing I’ve found though I tend to get a 24 hour delay in the HRV to a long hard ride.

1 Like

If you mean the user experience, I’ve noticed this too. I’m an Apple fanboy, but I find the health related metrics of the Apple Watch really confusing – seems like form over function. I’ve switched to wearing my Garmin Fenix 7 exclusively and I find the health metrics data much more intuitive, both on the watch and in the Connect mobile app. The Apple Watch is sitting in a drawer.