Garmin 530 or Wahoo Elemnt Bolt for outside workouts?

The hit lap function is nice, but sometimes you hit a light or something happens mid interval, you cant go back and restart or pick up right where you left off.

1 Like

Yes however the auto pause function is not available OR if you wanted to do say an extra few minutes of cooldown then tack on some endurance or tempo you have to lap advance, go to the save menu, continue the ride and do your tempo or endurance riding. The lap to advance after cooldown was fine for me if i didnt want to tack on extra after a ride.

But if you press lap at the end of the cool down it just ends to scheduled workout without stopping the ride so you could still continue the ride with whatever extra cool down or endurance riding that you want to do. Then when you get home you just stop the ride like any normal ride. You’ll then have a ride that has all of the built in laps from the structured workout plus one lap (or more if you press the lap button like normal) with the extra aerobic/tempo riding you did until you got home. You don’t have to go into any other menus or do anything special to add more riding after the structured portion of the ride ends.

1 Like

I understand and agree, it comes down to 1 button being pressed vs 2. Resume ride on garmin, or lap and start/stop. It’s really splitting hairs and for me, it was the user experience when you pay a high price tag for a piece of equipment. It was a real tossup between the 830 and the ROAM.

yes you can:

On the interval screen just hit the top right button and that menu appears, select “Restart Step” and it rewinds to beginning of interval. Haven’t used it, but just tested in the garage and it worked.

Exactly. Most workouts don’t need to be complex, and what I do is just capture the essence of the workout without warmup or cooldown as a workout in Garmin mobile app:

then go out and ride zone 2 / tempo to a suitable location (no traffic lights) and start the workout. Then continue riding zone 2 / tempo back home. You could even get fancy and have a catalog of workout snippets.

Creating that in Garmin app on my phone only takes a minute or two, and it is somewhat like reviewing a course before a group ride. You can also create workouts on the Garmin Connect web page/app.

Did that 4x10 sweet spot burst workout last night… however I didn’t bother starting the workout on my 530 as I decided to train the brain and get a better feel for two minutes. Of course I had to look down at computer from time-to-time, and I got pretty good at looking down around 1:45 or 1:50 to time the 5-sec sprints:

Really starting to prefer doing these from memory and developing a better sense of timing.

Having used both:

• Garmin does a better job of providing features, flexibility, and customization, but at the expense of ease-of-use
  • Wahoo does a better job with ease-of-use, but at the expense of features

Kinda like the iPhone vs Android debates from 10 years ago :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes