Fractional Utilization of VO2 Max

The long tests at threshold are a lot easier than the 20 minutes above threshold.

I use the 5 minute number from the Ramp Test and use the FTP from it as the test target for the longer test.

The 5 minute number is probably a little under what I could do all out, but it almost always matches what I can do for consistent intervals.

4 Likes

Just for reference, 5 minute power from the ramp test is always 121% of FTP, assuming that the test ended on 19:30 or close to it. I think thatā€™s probably why the ramp test works very well for you.

Mike

Re your COAs. Iā€™d go with No.1 and try to hang in there on the first few intervals on each VO2 session. I have found that the SSBII LV and Sustained Power Build LV has definitely increased my FU (quite a lot) but also my enabled me to complete the VO2 Max session at 100% (just!). If I were to focus on a VO2 dominated plan Iā€™d use the Ramp Test to determine the FTP it is based on though.

As an aside for othersā€¦
For those who are reading this it links in with the thread I started below - but there are a few similar on the Forum now Iā€™ve researched more. The first Iā€™d heard of FU was when @stevemz replied to my post and it makes loads of sense and I really like Chadā€™s explanation on AACC Episode 189 at 31mins.

From post-SusPowBuild to post-SSB, my power curve rose from 12min onward, which is pretty indicative of the training I did in SSB. <12min was a dud. But Iā€™m ok with that.

2 Likes

Thanks. This helps me identify when ramp test ā€œfailsā€ - the feeling for me is running out of air during the test. Looking at my last test a month ago, the ramp test resulted in 5-min power of 234W. After the test I manually set FTP to 230W which was good (but a little low) for threshold workouts, and relatively easy 60-sec vo2max efforts. That fractional utilization is a ridiculous 98%.

As a result of ā€œrunning out of airā€ on the last two ramp tests, and guided with forum discussion on Coach Chadā€™s VO2max booster block, in February I did some vo2max efforts but was traveling and then sick. So not enough to call it a real block of VO2max booster work.

Despite ā€œnot doing enoughā€ vo2max work, this past week my breathing was much improved on the Wed group ride and Sunday Crit. I did a hard 5-min effort as part of the early breakaway, and using that 5-min with my estimated FTP gives a far more respectable 88% (230 / 262).

After the Wed ride I cancelled General Build and replaced with Sustained Build. And yesterday based on the Crit I cancelled Sustained Build and went with Short Power Build. Looking at 88%, and knowing vo2max efforts are a limiter on both rides last week, looks like Short Power Build is the right call.

I like this thread. Iā€™m digging into WKO5 and see that:

• VO2max is modeled at 59 mL/min/kg
  • Power @ VO2max is 399w
  • mFTP 318w
  • FTP % of VO2max is 82%
  • FRC 23.9

If Iā€™m understanding correctly, my fractional utilization would be 80% (derived from 318/399)

Wondering if thatā€™s good, bad, other? Can I increase it? Assuming so, Iā€™m doing a big block of LT/FTP work to drive LT/FTP up from the bottom with an emphasis on over/unders and interval sessions that focus on working at 125-150% of TTE (63 min). So 1x60, 2x35, 3x25, etc.

CX season is fast approaching so I wonā€™t have time to do another MAP/VO2 focused block, but Iā€™m really curious to see how I race after this LT/FTP block and then start applying high-intensity from CX races. Iā€™m really hopeful itā€™ll be my best season yet.

1 Like

To me the most useful application of that is to see what to do to keep pushing FTP. I think somewhere around 85% FTP is too close to vo2max to keep working on it, so youā€™d need to improve vo2max first. At least thatā€™s my understanding of the theory. No real experience, as Iā€™m rubbish in actually doing anything to see if it worksā€¦

1 Like

Very interesting thread here but I have a questionā€¦ Earlier references to 6 of 3 minute repeats - what would the recovery be between those repeats? Would a workout like Mt Deborah or McMicken or Lerket be a good proxy for determining maximum repeatable vo2max power?

1:1 work:rest for VO2max/MAP intervals is common.

1 Like

Thanks @kurt.braeckel thatā€™s helpful.