For Sale/Want to Buy

What about a single thread dedicated to Buy/Selling stuff?

I’d want to make sure that we don’t clog the forum up with lots of threads.

Plus, if you don’t want to see it you just have to mute one channel and you’ll never seen it again.

11 Likes

That could work. I would suggest maybe a couple of things to keep it manageable.

Make it a monthly thread i.e February Buy/Sell
Limit it to bike related items i.e not crock pots and show tires
Have the title format [country][city] item for sale
And lastly must include a price - no “gauging interest” or make an offer or highest bidder.

Off course it needs to be clear that TR had nothing to do with any transaction its just a place to post

2 Likes

That sounds like a good solution.

Another idea is to create a “Classifieds” category. Based on
this it would appear that TR can mute categories for all users. Also, I found this cool plugin that, if I am understanding correctly, should streamline the classifieds thread/category…

2 Likes

@Nate_Pearson

A few recommendations that come from other forums:

1. Limited to current TR subscribers or limited to folks who have X # of posts or limited to folks that have been a member for the TR forum for X amount of time.
    Helps keep out the riff-raff + makes this more of a benefit for the contributing members.

2. Picture of item required.
    Clarifies what someone is selling

3. No used tires
    Duh.

4. No OBO + no public complaining about pricing.
    Reduces the back/forth.
    If someone has a problem about pricing they take it up with OP directly.

5. Include a way to give seller feedback
    Really helps to get a picture of how dependable a seller is.
    If “classifieds” becomes a sub-forum it can simply be an all encompassing thread within.

4 Likes

Agreed :+1:

Perhaps a sticky thread laying out the ground rules. The user has to reply to the thread their agreement and then an admin gives them access to the thread/category…

1 Like

No, sorry. That was a bad typo on my part. AFAIK, there are still no sales allowed.

Sorry for my mistake and confusion from it.

1 Like

Oh okay. No problem I just deleted my post.

1 Like

Another idea, to limit liability, would allow us to post links to where we have the item listed. Ie, FB or eBay. Then if a user is interested he can go negotiate on the other platform.
Sort of an advertisement of your advertisement.

1 Like

Could just create a selling forum like Slowtwich. When you come here you choose which thread you want to enter, the cycling forum or classified forum. Public place where TR takes no responsibility for deals/transactions.

Did this ever happen? I’m selling my Allez Sprint and would like to let the people who liked it in Aluminati Builds know, but, want to stay inside the rules.

I really don’t like this idea. There’s plenty of places to buy and sell, and plenty of those have wider reach and equally “serious” cyclists. If there’s a specific reason that TR can make it “better,” I’m all ears, but otherwise nah.

A possible approach could be to update the forum guidelines to ask folks to only drop a link to a listing on some other part of the internet, but otherwise to take all buy/sell activity elsewhere. This way, if people on this forum dig your bike build, you can let them know that it’s for sale and point them to it.

Based on a comment I saw earlier this year, I believe there is still no selling allowed on this forum.

1 Like

Is it possible to revisit this idea? based on some of the (less than satisfactory) interactions I’ve had buying and selling this year, it would be nice to deal with some more knowledgeable and hopefully reputable individuals.

Totally get if it’s a no-fly zone, but I thought I’d ask.

1 Like

I can see why they don’t want to open that can of worms: because then everyone and their vegan triathlete friend will be joining this forum simply to sell stuff. It’s shame because this would be a great group to do business with, but if we opened the forum to business I don’t think the group would be as good IMO

Allow only active TR members access or posting privileges to a buy-sell sub forum fixes that problem.

I could see something along the lines of a “Want to Buy” sticky thread where people can post what they are interested in, that way the forum doesn’t get filled with a ton of sale threads. But I can also see why they would not want to deal with that