Flat tire on the trainer

I use race tires, Conti GP4000SII (not built to dissipate trainer heat) with their RaceLite Tubes (very thin and fragile) and I have gone months of use (riding most days) without flatting. If I was using trainer tires and more robust tubes I would expect it to last even longer, but not forever. My point here is that if your new tube is only lasting a workout or two, there is something that is causing the puncture beyond just heat. Really check the tire to make sure that there is nothing in there (glass, thorns, etc) that is causing repeated punctures. Then check the rims thoroughly; is the rim tape covering all the spoke holes properly, burrs that could be rubbing on the tire, etc. If you’re sure that there is nothing on the tire and nothing on the rim, then I’d look at how you’re installing the tubes themselves. I have tight fitting rims and if my wheel even smells a tire lever while putting on a tube it just punctures immediately to spite me. My thumbs hurt for the whole day after I put a tire on as a laboriously get it on little by little.

1 Like