FINALLY! Zwift introduces "Return to Home" feature!

Yup, bare minimum. I need something for distraction, and the basic idea is exactly what I want.

The issue is the lack of progress and change in tone over the years. I have a lot of time and “miles” invested and am a bit hesitant to jump to one of the other offerings, since they are not at the same level. Catch 22 there, of course.

But I dabbled in RGT and that is likely my next step if I finally decide to bail.

1 Like

I’m in the all of is a “gimmick” category but am fine with them developing these types of features. I just wonder what will it look like as this progresses. If half the people are steering and braking and the other half are not what’s a riding experience on Zwift going to look like? Just worried it’ll end up a total CF out on the virtual roads.

It’s fine for me as 90% of the time I am just grinding out my TR workout as I ride Zwift. It’s a great distraction for that but I also do enjoy free riding events and even races from time to time. Just don’t want to venture too far into the video game space.

I agree with this take - - part of what makes it popular is that you can just hop on your bike and ride and don’t have to be mucking around with things. Of course there’ll be people who want more out of it like Chad has shown, but if they made things like that mandatory or a necessity it would likely do more harm than good for the user base.

1 Like

I am a programmer, and the flaws and just ‘WOW!’ in Zwift have driven me mildly insane for over 2 years.

I’m just glad its not me that has to do the updates. I can’t imagine the spaghetti code all over the place.

I remember the ‘you are seeing everyone around you in the member list’ that was finally corrected. It made the list so less a psychotic hot mess. I thought there should be a way to just make it go away, so thanks to the programmer(s) that fixed that.

But we come for the UI glitches, I thought. Watching people pedal in mid-air, and ride through axle deep concrete. Oh, and the runners you can mow down in the middle of the course. The wife watched a short moment of a session, and was getting way to involved. ‘HE JUST HIT YOU! TRACK HIM DOWN AND KILL HIM!!!’, ‘WHAT, THEY JUST RODE THROUGH YOU! THAT’S GROSS!’, ‘YOU JUST SAT THERE AND LET THEM PASS YOU? THEY WERE RUDE! WHY’D YOU LET THEM DO THAT?’ She doesn’t pop her head in anymore, and I’m relieved…

there is a rock on the side of the road at the top of the radio tower climb that I plow through every time I reach the summit. I love that rock.

4 Likes

I am also friends with that rock

1 Like

This new feature has seemed pretty buggy to me. On one long ride I did, my ride didn’t upload to strava when I exited. Not sure if that was the new feature or the fact that long rides don’t seem to always upload to strava.

I also doesn’t seem to place nice with ending a ride from the companion app.

Last, we can’t you just quit all the way if you want to and go back to home when you want to. Now I have to click a couple more times to exit the game when I almost never want to do another ride. It’s like it’s a win-lose situation with them.

Yeah, Barry the Boulder is a champ. He gives new meaning to the phrase hitting the wall, after a long climb

2 Likes

There are a few of those during that climb.