Feeling hopeless with TT position

Might be a silly question, but did you take one of the 2 available morphological exemptions to allow you to move the tip of the bars to 80 cm in front of the center of the BB?

"• For morphological reasons a rider is allowed either to move the tip of the saddle forwards to the vertical plane of the bottom bracket, or to position handlebar extensions forwards up to a maximum of 80cm in front of the centre of the bottom bracket.

• Morphological tests will no longer be necessary for exemptions in either of these two cases."

“In theory, if cranks get shorter, saddle should go up to keep the same length at the bottom of the pedal stroke. In turn, this opens up the angle at the top of the stroke.”

This exactly

2 Likes

Moving your cleats back will close your hip angle. It might be worth it if you get more power. But it also moves your knees closer to the elbow pads.

Im never touching cleats. They are the only thing i never touch and are screwed in place with thread glue. Any slight change on them causes knee pain that lasts for days. They’re in optimal position.

Extensions are at exactly 75 cm. Isn’t the 80 cm rule conserning only +190 cm riders?

Balloon will add a ton of drag

4 Likes

So that’s a no go? But i love Frozen so much.

2 Likes

HI,

In my limited experience TT’ing I’ve done plenty of research, bikefits etc,
Looking at your picture a few things seems like they may help.

larger TT frame? to get your BB and pelvis further back relative to your pads. From your ribs forward looks good! The large distance your knee is forward of the bb suggests you could go back with any biomechanical cost to Power output. With your anatomy (relative long legs/arms) and that bike frame, you probably need to be much further back from the 50mm behind BB regulation on your current frame.

It looks lie your saddle is all the way forward on the rails? limiting the room your chasing?

Also, Is that a Fizik Arione saddle ? It looks like it. Suggest getting a snub nosed saddle if your not on one. ISM/ dash etc. That will allow you to push your saddle right back (because you need more room) and roll your entire hip structure anteriorly (helps to flatten back)
Your probably aware, these snub nose saddles are designed so that you can race on your perineum for shorter durations like TT’s and get a far more aero position. Regular saddles prevent this significantly in almost all athletes.

Your head is nice and low relative to upper back, thats great. It does look like your hands could come up a bit to close off the space between face and chest and be within the UCI 15 degree regs. This is often faster for most. . Your head will cost you more time than your hands. Don’t move hands if it means you head pops up. Raising hands normally allows people to drop head more though.

Hope some of that helps.

Hmm, not sure I’ve heard this before. Cleats have what, 10mm in them? How much change correlates to hip angle closing?

To hell with the UCI, move to the UK or do Triathlons :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was responding to Brennus when he said moving the cleats back will open the hip angle. It will close the hip angle.

Not much but I’m sure you’d feel it.

Joe

1 Like

I found this from Lennard Zinn:

“…since you essentially shorten your leg length from the hip to the cleat by moving the cleat further back on the shoe, you can run a lower seat height with a more aft cleat. “

That would open the hip angle, but I can’t find an indication of how much.

Nope.

You are free to use a morphological exemption to either move the seat up to the bottom bracket OR put the extensions to 80 cm regardless of height, commissaires simply need to be made aware and cannot deny the exemption.

If you are 190 cm+ this increases to 85 cm.

You have 5 more cm to play with!!

Got excited for a second, but then i double checked if i remembered right. Nope :smiling_face_with_tear:. They are at 80.0. Bummer.

Ah, that’s too bad man!!

Uci rules suck!

I can’t understand how this could possibly be.

Joe

doesnt really worry me too much, my events are under UCI rules, every other competitor is in the same boat, same rules, so just setup within the rules and train with it. You get used to it

Honestly the only thing id change on mine is another 2-3cm or so extension, perfectly comfy otherwise