Favero Assioma Users

So i ordered the DUO this pass weekend.
I will be swapping pedals between 2 bikes.

The question I have… Do i need some grease or something to keep the pedals to “weld” into the cranks?

thanks!

1 Like

Pedal threads that go in the crank should always be greased, regardless of brand.

When you pedal, the threads will be tightening more, so there’s no danger of them loosening, as long as your shoe doesn’t rub the power pod.

4 Likes

yes… that i know… but I usually put them in, and forget…
this is the first time i will be swapping pedals like this.
Is there a specific type/brand i should look for?

If you grease every bike crank and pedal that you own right now and the Faveros, then you should be pretty much good. There should be no reason that you lose the grease coating. The excess will push out of the threads on first install, but that’s just excess, so no worries.

You have to make sure that the power pod doesn’t touch either the crank (use an extra washer if needed) or your shoes (should be no issue with road shoes, with gravel or MTB you may need to trim the shoe rubber).

1 Like

Park Polylube 1000 is in just about every bike shop and is perfect for this application and most others on your bike. A bottle will last you years and years.

I swap mine between bikes and just freshen up the grease once in a while

Also a tip cause a mechanic saw me monkeying around once (only for pedals)
tighten towards the front wheel
loosen toward the rear wheel

Mike

6 Likes

how does one actually do this @GPLama

GREAT TIP! Easy way to remember.
I like to remember it like this:

• To go forward it must be tighten. (Tighten to FWD wheel)
1 Like

Or: you front up but you back off

1 Like

The Assioma static weight test is all documented within their app. The Quarq one documented here. Note that video is old. The Quarq app is now SRAM AXS app. Same principles.

Good tip…
I didnt even consider that!

I have to say…
Favero was SUPER quick on their shipment…
I ordered last week… they will get in tomorrow…

that was quicker than some domestic shipments!

…and use the supplied washers so the pod isn’t flush with the crank arm.

2 Likes

Just got the DUO last week and been comparing it to my indoor set up.

Kickr 2020 (ERG) & TrainerRoad via BT
DUO & Wahoo Roam via Ant+

I keep getting power spikes on the DUO/Roam. I uploaded the .fit to DCR analyzer and got the attached graphs. Does it look OK?

Max power in DUO is way above the Kickr but the overall avg power is about the same. Thanks for any feedback.

@wsun, looks fine to me. The Assiomas are showing the power fluctuations that are always there but hidden by the Kickr’s power smoothing (see next paragraph). There’s also an offset in the clocks but that’s not abnormal.

By default Wahoo Kickr has additional power smoothing enabled, which is why the Kickr 2020 line looks super rigid. It’s artificial. You can disable it in the app. It does not change how the Kickr behaves at all, but does show more realistic data that erg mode compensates for in the background.

Prior to getting my Assiomas I preferred Kickr smoothing enabled. Now that I have an independent power meter to compare to, I prefer to disable the Kickr’s extra smoothing.

For reference, the below charts are from Junction -1 yesterday. I run Zwift in parallel but TR was controlling my Kickr. I dual-recorded the Assiomas on a Garmin Edge. I primarily look at the Power Curve to ensure that the trainer and pedals are tracking. These are further apart than usual but given that this workout has 50+ 15-second sprints at 150% FTP, I’m not concerned at all.

3 Likes

Looks pretty normal to me - real power data is quite noisy. (And if we ever get higher frequency reporting it will likely be even more variable.) You can adjust the offset in the DCR software to align them better. Agreed that the kickr power looks artificially smoothed - you likely have smoothing enabled in the kickr. I would enable some averaging in the DCR analyzer, as that helps compare. Also, I’m not a fan of comparing mean maximal power curves, as I think it exaggerates the differences - I only look at the time-series data and how close the to units are at measuring the same thing.
It looks like you might have paused the recording of the assiomas, so the average power comparisons at the bottom may not be valid.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, this is appreciated and really good to know. I’ll try a session with Power Smoothing off and then make the comparison. I guess it only makes sense for the power variation due to things like pedal smoothness and the Kickr’s constant adjustment to give the correct resistance.

Yes, it looks like at warm up, there was a slight pause… I forgot…
I adjusted the time & smoothing to 30 seconds.

I will have more data tomorrow. Thanks!

I think that looks good to me - the averages over the whole workout are quite close. It does look like the trainer is a little low in the recovery. You can highlight sections in the DCR analyzer, and it will give the the average over that segment - this is a good way to look at individual intervals, or to avoid sections that have dropouts or other anomalies.
I would disable the smoothing in the kickr, as this will give you more comparable numbers over shorter timeframes. My takeaway from this is that your pedals/trainer match about as well as can be expected.

1 Like

Hi All,

Thank you for all the great feedback!

I did 2 sessions today and had Power Smoothing OFF and it seems to have resolved the issue. In fact in one of the workout, the DUO had a lower spike than the KICKR…

By the way, is it me or does the Kickr actually pedal smoother when Power Smoothing is turned off?

DCR Smoothing Intervals set to 30 sec.

The Kickr should not behave differently with it’s own power smoothing on or off. There is definitely a mental aspect to seeing more fluctuations, though, but close your eyes for a little bit to see if you really feel a difference.

Just got my DUOs a couple of days ago so I’ve been recording power on my head unit with them and using TR with my KICKR. Over all they seem to track pretty close, usually 1-3 watt diff. But today I had a ramp test and during min 19 the DUOS had what I thought was a drop out for a couple of seconds. When I checked on TR, I saw that the DUOs were reading about 5% lower until that “Drop out”. If you see the Power chart, the DUOs correct themselves about 2 mins before the end of the Ramp Test and start tracking almost 1:1. I calibrated the DUOs before the ride and warmed up for 10 mins on the trainer and then proceeded to calibrate the KICKR.

Has this happened to any of you? Should I have waited and calibrated the DUO´s after the warm up?

1 Like

So here’s an unfun fact:
If you buy Unos and then email them letting them know you want to exchange them for duos, you’re told:

So… if you are on the fence about Duos, I guess go right for the Duos.