Failure-My Take

Hey all! We all write/post about success, podiums, our smart talented kids and hot SO’s. But, it’s rare to read posts about failures. Here’s mine…

After one of my best performances at the Sea Otter Classic Circuit race last week I imploded during the road race in epic fashion just a couple days later. Epic meaning, I got popped on rolling terrain (my strong point) during the first lap! Yes that’s correct, with in the first ten miles of the 35/45+ cat 123 I was not only dropped I was the first to get dropped. The course was so fun and beautiful I rolled around for about 40 miles then limped back to the start/finish by myself.

I’ve got a list of excuses but, honestly I’m not sure WTH happened. One thing is absolutely crystal clear: I’m not lean enough to compete with the top guys on any climb longer than a highway overpass. Beyond the W/Kg implications being leaner should help transport the O2 to the muscles so perhaps posting here will hold me more accountable in some bizarre way.

I’ve been lean before (about 15 pounds lighter than my current weight) and it transformed my riding. So, away I go. This will be a struggle but, as long as I put in this much time and money to try and be “fast” it makes zero sense to carry around 10-15 extra pounds.

Hope this helps someone get motivated and believe it’s healthy to admit not all is well.
First step to change…Cheers!

13 Likes

I find failure to be particularly motivating. You’ve been there before (leaner) so you’ll get there again, and that feeling that you had being dropped in the race will make you stronger for next time. Choose a sustainable lifestyle change rather than a “diet” and there’s a good chance you’ll stick with it. Good luck!

1 Like

For sure. What i did before was simply lots of veggie (colors) fruits, and lean meats. No white carbs except during rides.

Yes I find this works, in fact I did my first race in January and was brutally honest posting about it on the forum.

1 Like

Last year a got dropped from the front pack in a race I needed to do well in to podium in my race series. Worse yet, I had video of it so I could keep reliving the moment. I ended up printing out a picture of that very moment and posting it in front of my trainer for the rest of the season. I kept telling myself, that will never happen again. Found it quite motivating.

Aside from motivation, being dropped allowed me an opportunity to analyze every part of my training, recovery, nutrition and mental game. Making all the necessary changes I needed.

1 Like

Brutally honest post. Once you’ve accepted it, you can work with it, and improve it.

I got spat a couple of months back and it hurt like hell, for all of about five minutes. Then I realised I had the tools at my disposal to make the adjustments that had just been made abundantly clear to me by 49 other riders.

Doubt I’ll ever be the ‘complete’ package but I’m always willing to learn, even if that is learning the hard way.

Hope you get to where you’re aiming @KorbenDallas :+1:

1 Like

Thanks I think I will get there. Nothing huge but, I did venture on the scale today and it said I was about as heavy in a long time. One thing that I have noticed is I have increased muscle mass along with fat. Unfortunately, the mirror and pants don’t lie. 10 should be doable. Going to take it slow and shoot for August…

1 Like

if you aren’t failing, you aren’t trying hard enough things in life!

Got jettisoned in JMSR and learned a ton; more than from any local race podium.

All the best with getting lean!

1 Like