Evoc Road Bike Bag Pro - Handlebars on

@Jonathan Really interested in hearing your feedback on this case. I am a 56cm venge so ill be keen on your review. If you weren’t using this case from Nate, what case would you use to transport your Venge?

1 Like

Which one are you referring to? Road bag pro, or the Aerotech hard case?

This was for the bag that started the Topic. Evoc Pro

@Jonathan - verdict after the stage race is PHX?

Great to know. Thank you!

My biggest concern is the size. Southwest specifications is that L+W+H must be <100 inches and this one comes in at 108". My TT bike is so difficult to take apart that keeping the handlebars on is ideal. I could ship my bike via tribike transport, but then you have to trust someone else to get all the bolts tight and right.
Has anyone had this rejected or been charged a lot with this case?
Noelani

Thanks. Ended up with the bike box alan. it’s big, but well protected and can carry a third wheel (disc). Still ended up having to lower my seat and take the aero bars off but that was it.

Fits perfectly in to the back of a mini van (standing up right), not so great on the rental car shuttle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for dragging this post back from the brink. There’s a million posts on bike bags and this very nearly answers my question.

Are you still using the Evoc XL for the MTB? Do you have enough space for your seat post to stay in place in the frame?

Or, to the group, what bags do tall riders use for their 29er XL mountain bikes?

I bought the super expensive EVOC Road Bike Bag Pro. Unlike all the above commenters, for me the bag is actually TOO LARGE relative to the size of my bike. I don’t ride a tiny bike. I ride a size 54 Cannondale SystemSix. But I have a -17 deg 140 mm stem that is slammed as much as possible on this bike. The result is that my carbon handlebars do not get full protection from the hard-shell portion of the case. The drops of my handlebars are entirely below the hard-shell portion and thus up against the soft-shell portion of the bag. They would absorb any side impacts and be at serious risk of damaging. So now the only way for me to use this $850 bag is develop a home hack to lift the front end of the bike up higher. Poor design.

I’m seriously looking at both the Scicon 3.0 and the Evoc Pro Road. I have an old Trico Iron Case now, but when I tried to put my SL7 in it, I don’t think I can move the handlebars enough to make it work. It’s wierd because I had the new version Cervelo S5 before this, and I was able to move the bars enough, so I think the cabling was maybe just poorly done here.

The Scicon scares because I’ve seen enough posts from people who actually did get their bikes damaged. The “problem” with either case is that they seem really hard to live with size-wise.

There’s a 3rd option with Canyon with The Canyon Signature Pro Transport. It hasn’t been in stock for a few months in Canada, but it’s still available on the German website and in other countries. It looks less bulky than the Scicon and EVOC bags and you can keep your cockpit on, but you have to remove the seatpost.

One of the main issues I have with those bags, and something that was mentioned a few times in this thread, is that you need a larger vehicle to get from & to the airport.

1 Like

I have the EVOC Road Bike Pro. It was damaged the first time I used it because the baggage handlers dropped it on the top corner of the hard shell and mashed the zipper. I was able to get it repaired but it a bit of a jury rig fix which put stoppers before and after the damaged portion of the zipper.

The damage likely resulted from the difficulty of handling a bag of this size. It’s a beast. My 54” bike fits in it with room to spare. It only works with taxi vans or large SUVs so travelling with it can be a challenge. But it is light and easy to move through airports with back wheels and removable front wheel.

Integrated handlebars on road bikes work well but it’s not wide enough for flared gravel bars. Overall, I am not sure I wouldn’t have been better with a less expensive option and learning to manage the integrated stems/handlebars. If I hadn’t had to deal with that damage on it first voyage I may feel differently.

1 Like

With the issue of the bars/levers getting bumped, i’d be opting for UPS shipping a box . I’ve got a PostCarry and have no issues wrenching, but still perfer to ship the bike. Toss an AirTag in there, and you’ll know where your bike is at the other end.
https://shop.bikeflights.com/BikeFlights-Bike-Box-Extra-Large_p_63.html

Maybe make your own out of Corrugated plastic sheets

Ok, Evoc Road Bike Bag Pro vs Scicon Aercomfort 3.0 TSA. Battle of the “leave your handlebars on” bags. I’m traveling in November and need a bag. I have a Tarmac SL7 with stem and bars (110, 40) but also have another race bike (same size 58) with an integrated cockpit (so no rotating bars forward. I could possibly pull the cockpit off the steerer but it would be tight with the cables so I’m really looking for a bag that can leave the handlebars on. In a perfect world I’d buy the Evoc and call it a day. It looks to be a little more robust. But it’s costly. So right now the Scicon is $570 (or $475 if I get that god-awful USA color scheme) compared to $1000 for the Evoc. Is the Evoc worth the extra $400?And all the reviews say it is huge.

Or if anybody has experience with a 1-piece cockpit and other bags I’d love to hear them.

Edit: The Scicon Aerotech Evolution looks decent for a hard case and the picture has a 1-piece cockpit. Anybody have/use this bag?

The Evoc is huge. And people underestimate the difficulty finding travel at their destination that can handle/fit it.

2 Likes

I’m not in integrated bar world (yet, but n+1 will be so following with interest), but I think on another thread someone suggested undoing the callipers to give more slack I think (open to correction on that one)? I don’t know whether that just leads to other potential issues though.

2 Likes

:thinking: it fits in almost every SUV or van. Basically just can’t use a sedan. Not an issue in the US.

That’s what I keep hearing. I’m really leaning towards the Scicon Aerocomfort.

Not everybody drives or wants a massive car. Would limit rental car options.

1 Like

You are miss quoting me. I was responding to…

It is not difficult in the US to find travel, however may limit your vehicle choices.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Limiting your vehicle choices makes it difficult in my eyes. So we’ll agree to disagree.

1 Like