Evidence behind 'efficiency' of indoor training

I get that doing a TR workout on a trainer is 100% efficient for that workout. If you try and complete that same workout outdoors you’ll probably take longer to do so.
I don’t agree with the sentiment that you can have an easy to get ratio of efficiency for the trainer vs outdoors.

For the record, the ride I mentioned had 50 mins of non stop overs and unders to begin as it’s all up hill. The terrain dictates when it’s an over.
I have never used auto pause on a ride and I’m not sure why you would use that setting.
Aside from two very short but steep sections of asphalt, if I’m coasting in a ride it’s anything but restful. It’s either single track or cornering on rough descents. Sure your legs get a minor break. No different to doing intervals on the trainer though. Sometimes harder even.

I have plenty of other outdoor rides where I’d be happy to say they were less efficient than if I’d stayed on the trainer.

Maybe someone can ask at the church of Chad? I’d love to hear the TR crews opinion on the podcast.

Peace out boys and girls. I’m going to auto pause and grab myself a latte.:wink:

1 Like