Etap mtb, worth waiting for?

Yes -Micro Spline. But it looks like I should be ok with my DT240 hubs.

I have a few friends at SRAM I bug them from time to time for info.
This is how the most recent conversation at CABDA San Diego went:

Me: “Hey do you have any info on ____?”
Bud: “I don’t know what you’re talking about. You should ask very specific questions. I’ll make sure to give you very general answers.”
Me: “blah blah blah (push for info)”
Bud: “blah blah blah (combo of vague and specific info). Do you guys have a booth at CABDA Chicago?”
Me: “Yep.”
Bud: “Are you going?”
Me: “Should I?”
Bud: “I would go if I were you. SRAM’s best worst best kept secret.”

So MTB-related news should drop Feb 13/14. If news does drop (remember things can change due to unforeseen production issues cough Shimano Power Meter) you’ll also have an idea of release date and aftermarket vs OEM availability. Then you can make an informed decision. If it doesn’t drop, it’ll probably drop at Sea Otter and then you probably (definitely) won’t have enough time to get it for your A-race.

Also just to stoke the fire:
Expect to hear about stuff from Shimano.
Small disappointment: you won’t be able to use hubs in the library (someone please pick-up what I’m putting down).

2 Likes

Have to figure electronic Shimano 12 speed is on the way but maybe some other surprises too? One thing that is certain, it won’t be cheap…

This is what I did with my felt:
Had 10 speed xtr. Stripped it and sold the groupo on ebay.
Kept the xtr crank.
Bought gx eagle and installed it.
Replaced free hub to XD compatible.

You sound so sad you have to use mechanical if eTap doesn’t come out soon. Mech is great, eagle is great. The sun will come up : )

1 Like

This definitely made me laugh… total first world problems.

1 Like

https://launch.sram.com/en/axs/etap-axs

2 Likes

IT’S HERE!!! If you have $2,000 laying around :tired_face:. I can’t wait until I can just buy the derailleur and shifter.

2 Likes

System weight is 1,451g according to Pinkbike:

“Surprisingly, an entire Eagle AXS XX1 group is claimed to come in 5-grams lighter than its mechanical sibling, putting it at 1,451-grams without a bottom bracket. X01 is 15-grams lighter overall, so it sits at 1,487 without a bottom bracket. SRAM declined to provide me with individual component weights, but the numbers above do include the 25-gram battery, too.”

I can’t find any weights on the Reverb

1 Like

Solid and intriguing. The integration appears to be top notch and it will be interesting to see an AXS SID and shock in the future. The possibilities are endless.

• Switch suspension to Open; automatically drops seatpost… or vice versa, drop the seatpost and it opens up the suspension

• Mapping your gearing, dropped post or not, and suspension setting to your ride data to see where you can go faster on your trail or course.

• Love the service interval data as mentioned in their video.

Pretty cool. If I could justify spending 2K on it, sure.

I have had similar experiences. Went to Grip Shift for that reason – and love the rapid shifting option that triggers cannot match.

20 hour battery life is a bit on the low side, but it’s not awful, and if spares are only 25g, that’s pretty easy to keep in a saddle pack.

I probably won’t spring for it this year and will wait for components to become available individually.

I’ll probably pass on the Reverb and just go for a lightweight dropper instead.

2 Likes

So looks cool but I’m pissed about two things.

• 5 piece only group: I already have an eagle cassette, crank, and chain. I don’t need to be re-buying 3 items and trying to sell the others on ebay. Lame decision.
  • Price: the cassette, crank, and chain are about $1060 MSRP on SRAMs site. If this is a $2000 5 piece group that means the shifter and derailleur are a $1000 combo?.. Anyone jazzed about riding a $700 RD down the trail? or a $300 shifter?

We’ll see. I may still end up with the components but I don’t know about this pricing for something on a MTB. It’s kinda like installing this level of stuff on a crit bike…not the best decision.

Given that this is the highest end group set on the market, I’m not shocked about the price. It will set the bar for Shimano to break when they announced an electronic version of their new 12 speed group.

However the bundle really limits things right now for riders who are already on Eagle mechanical and would like to upgrade, or for those that prefer a power meter. They should offer a bundle with an Eagle/Quarq power meter to make it easier than having to buy the PM separately and then try and resale the original crank at a loss.

I suspect the individual parts will come, but hopefully the wait won’t be too long. Some over seas sites have apparently start listed some of the parts separately, so perhaps some might start turning up on Ebay.

1 Like

With a Quarq meter planned for my next MTB I completely agree that a package including the power meter would be very convenient.

2 Likes

A new gravel bike is on the cards before this! For now, I’ll stick with the mechanical eagle. It’s been flawless for me over 3 years. Not a single problem shifting or dropped chain. Although did need to adjust the b screw when I first got the bike.

This will change pretty quickly I imagine…

I rode the new AXS groupset yesterday and it really did blow me away… The price is high, I agree, but there is genuine progress in this stuff - not just a rehash of existing components. The dropper post is awesome too although I was disappointed there is not a 27.2 version for my gravel bike :smiley:

FWIW I’ve been riding ‘standard’ eTap road kit on my gravel bike off road for a year and a half and it’s been absolutely fine. The new AXS rear mech sits about 10mm higher from the ground than the current eagle mech to give some more clearance, and it has a ‘release’ mechanism that should detect impacts and protect the mech from the worst of rock strikes etc.

2 Likes