Dylan Johnson's "The Problem with TrainerRoad Training Plans": it's gonna be a busy day around here

Don’t feed the trolls

1 Like

Ok, got it

No that’s not #credentials. He has nothing to do with her past successes.

DJ knows that he has no track record as coach. That’s why he states on his coaching homepage that he has 10 years of training and racing experience.

Something which I haven’t seen discussed/yelled over re: intensity, is aerobic efficiency (a la KG).
*(shout out to @bbarrera)

It’s probably safe to say that almost all TR users come into this thing with a highly under-developed aerobic system. If efforts greater than 1 minute are powered mostly by aerobic-ness, it’s probably safe to say that much more aerobic-specific work (e.g. long Z2) should be undertaken by almost all TR users.
(caveat: it’s a very weird feeling to do a ton of LSD and then smash out an all-time 1min PR; be prepared!)

Along with Ramp test, I’d love to see TR institute, at a minimum, a 2hr Z2 aerobic “test” (they could use some blunt measurement such as Pwr:Hr). Then with those two numbers, TR could formulate a plan much more suited to developing a better cyclist vs a higher FTP.
(just realized this is probably nudging towards a SF 4DP-type thing!)

1 Like

How is zone 2 work any more specific for increasing “aerobic fitness” than VO2max intervals?

Unless you’re doing really short, really hard efforts with lots of rest, you’re training your aerobic fitness.

1 Like

Just have a sweet spot/threshold ‘test’. We’re going to extend the last interval until you quit. We’ll use that duration /power to inform the next block. Oh wait, I just created the TTE test again.

1 Like

If he truly understood things he wouldn’t have published his first polarized training paper, and the world would be a better place.

2 Likes

How is 75% of MAP (or whatever it is TR uses) more specific/better for measuring/testing aerobic efficiency than a long Z2 ride?

He’s not the one responsible for revealing that a pyramidal distribution dominates in endurance sports. In fact, I don’t think the word was even in his vocabulary until others brought it to the fore - he always contrasted polarized training with a straw man threshold TID, which no one has ever advocated.

1 Like

Who said it was? And who’s talking about testing/measuring anyway?

ETA: Did you mean to reply to @ErickVH?

1 Like

Agreed. Like stating no pro does POL 24/7 for their entire career.

Yes, most cyclist probably do end up PYR, but that’s over an entire season. Does that mean every week is PYR? Just like pros, perhaps 1-2 months will be POL, then they’ll evolve into other training & racing.

Besides, even with PYR distribution, you’d still be doing more Z2 than SS. Out of 4 types of training models, SS is dominant in only 1. Does that mean the other 75% of training modalities are garbage? Or just that the “threshold” model is the one best suited for the commercial endeavour?

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t2:

I just watched a 20-minute video of a pro cyclist doing his zone 2 low-aerobic training ride. It sure looks a lot different than when I do my rides. He’s cruising along at 250 watts, which is significantly higher than my tested FTP.

I’m not convinced that, just because we both ride around in ‘zone 2’, the effects on the body are the same.

Does this discussion apply to someone who isn’t doing 20+ hours per week like Dylan J? I’m still getting and anticipating newbie gains. :slight_smile:

Who’s to say I’m not just wasting time doing zone 2 when I seem to be fully capable of recovering from regular sweet spot workouts?

2 Likes

True, and I’ve also read professional opinions claiming a couple years of ‘threshold’ modality training might be better for beginning cyclists as it essentially toughens up the body. Then you can move on to “real” training. :wink:

Hmm. I’m about halfway through the “In the Big Ring” podcast episode with DJ as guest. A couple of interesting snippets:

• He spent a while before his first podcast understanding YouTube’s algorithms, best image to get clicks, etc.
  • Prior to DJ’s “The Problem with Zwift Workouts” podcast he had around 100 views per episode. That rose to 40,000 for that episode and after.
  • After the Zwift podcast Chris Carmichael phoned DJ, apparently they had never spoken before, while he felt the arguments were valid he was not happy about the criticism of a competitor.

Having done it once, the cynic in me feels the TR edition been done in a calculated way.

6 Likes

You mean incumbents don’t like to be challenged? Color me shocked.

2 Likes

Dylan saying he was probably gonna lose subscribers for bashing TR was such disingenuous bs. He 100% knew that video was gonna sell like hot cakes and his clicks would go through the roof

4 Likes

I think he also said he would trigger the fanboys, which he clearly did since they see critique as bashing. He even said the SS plans work, just not as well as alternatives in the study he cited, and that our plans can lead to burnout. There’s weekly threads about these same topics here for months.

At no point in the video did anyone say TR plans are ineffective, nor was there a plug or recommendation for another product or his own services. I don’t understand the outrage from some members, you’d think they have a business interest in TR.

Meanwhile the actual TR staff have been pretty calm and rational

12 Likes

Some people used the video to push their own agenda. Hell some seem to have registered just for that. That’s what caused most of the “backlash”. :tipping_hand_man:t4:

DJ, most people simply called out for his bullshit. Not like he didn’t expect that. Lots of free publicity for his 400 dollar consultancy services and 80 bucks training plans. :person_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

You have literally been THE most vocal on this thread and I’m not sure where your actual contributions are, every post just seems like another opportunity to bash someone you claim is bashing TR

Where was this mentioned in the video?

3 Likes