Do Progress Levels drop too much after an FTP update?

Today I was allowed to use FTP detection again and since I really liked the new FTP (246->254 or 3.3%) I decided to immediately accept that and AT recommendations. I was at threshold level 5.2 and AT had me scheduled Starr King or 3x15 min @ 100% FTP or 246W, my threshold PL level dropped to 3.5 and as a replacement for my next threshold I was offered Mount Goode -4 for a total workout time of 75 min 3x12min @ 94% or 241W for a total workout time of 60 min. That’s significantly less than my original workout even with the 3.3% FTP bump

I tried to find a workout out at my new FTP which sort would match the Starr King at my old FTP, I couldn’t find an exact match but I think Mount Goode -2 a 5.3 threshold workout comes close with 15 minutes @ 241 , @ 251 and 246

Easy way to find out. Just do Starr King and report back.

On a more serious note. AT seems to be a bit conservative when it comes to PL reduction. The best thing to do is report this to support so they can evaluate if this is unintended behavior or give you a reasoning for such a big drop.

1 Like

Starr King would be too much but I think Mount Goode -2 @ 254W would come closer to Starr King @246W than Mount Goode -4

Who trained you to do my job for me. :rofl:
Thank you!!! This is 100% our advice for questions on PL/AT specifics; support knows best.

2 Likes

It’s just for discussion because I noticed the difference which I normally don’t between the pre ftp update and post update but in this case the difference was very clear the pre update 3x15 min @246W is significantly harder than the post ftp update 3x12 min @241W

1 Like

I had the Short Build plan on my calendar, it was suggesting Thimble for the first workout (VO2 Max 5.2. I did the FTP test and gained a whopping 2 watts (202 → 204), and it dropped me down to Sleeping Beauty +4 (VO2 Max 4.4). I put it back to Thimble and that was fine.

Thimble was down-adapted not from your FTP adjustment, but rather due to decay since it had been a while since your last VO2 max workout.
Adaptive Training will adjust your workouts quickly to your current situation, and likely would have suggested changes even if you didn’t manually adjust that workout.

1 Like