Do-it-all wheel set recommendations (cross, road, gravel, etc.)

Enve’s 4.5 ARs would tick all the boxes. A cheaper option would be 3T’s C45s.

Just one comment regarding the frame sets you are considering. These are road frames, I don’t think they are suitable for CX and gravel riding. Perhaps something like the 3T Exploro is better suited to you needs. Alternatively, you could use an aggressive CX frame.

1 Like

I know you said you don’t want Chinese wheels but I am going to suggest some.
https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-carbon-wheels-40mm-x-30mm-with-dt-350s-model-fsc40-cm-30t-dsl-3.html
I’ve been using these for around six months now and they are superb. They have been hammered on and off road and have performed flawlessly. I had to get the rear re-dished because i am using them on a Super X. My mechanic was impressed with the quality, brass nipples,Sapim spokes etc.
I have had Schwalbe G one’s, Panaracer Gravelking SK’s and Schwalbe Pro One’s on them, all tubeless. Everyone was easy to fit.

1 Like

@GPLama - this set up (sub the Rovals for your Hunts) is what I reckon you should road test. This bike has serious all round ability and speed on and off road. Perfect Winter, CX and all round bike.
Hopefully Canyon have let you keep your test Grail for a while?

I’d need an XD freehub for the other set of wheels. The Grail I have on loan is also a x1, so that’d be a limiter for using it as an all-rounder.

Ahh. Agree - 1x is a limiter. GRX sounds great but I’m glad I got one of the last bikes of the original range with 105 as it allows me to genuinely have an all rounder.
But I guess if they need to play in the gravel market it was a necessary move.

1 Like

Amazing!

I dream of the do it all bike to go with the do it all wheels, but I already have the ravel / cx frame (Giant TCX)

Take a look at Hunt Wheels - I have a set of their Mason X wheels and love them for cross - they would work really well as road wheels. They are more affordable than some bigger brands out there. Road/CX Wheels – Hunt Bike Wheels International

what wheelset did you end up getting?

1 Like

I still haven’t pulled the trigger… because Covid (and no racing this year) :grimacing:

1 Like

true that. any chance the new zipp firecrest 303 meets the bill? it’s cheaper than the original and based on all the stuff i’ve seen it’s a more well rounded wheel with multiple uses (pending tire choice of course).

1 Like

The 303 Firecrest is a bit more than I really wanted to spend. The 303s (zipp’s new “budget” wheelset) is compelling, but my concern is the rear freehub because it’s a not-so-great 3 pawl design. I wouldn’t care if it was just for road riding, but for cross a quick engaging freehub is key. Maybe it’s fine, but that rear hub makes me hesitate. Love the warranty and general design of the 303s rims though.

The Envy 45 may be a good choice as well that I’m pondering. Also has a great warranty, but I haven’t found much info on the rear freehub.

3 Likes

Easton may have something you’d be interested in. The EC90 SL would fit the bill. The EC90 AX would be my pick though not as aero.

Edit: Re-reading these may be beyond your price range.

Go with Hunt. I have several sets and all are great. For the price you can get 2 sets.

Hunt are great wheels, recommended

Also a fan of these

https://scribecycling.co.uk/collections/gravel-carbon-disc/products/gravel-wide-cd54-1-528g

good value, strong and lightweight,

Another vote for November. I have a set of AR50’s and another of Hed Eroicas that Dave built and they’re fantastic. He’s super helpful with questions and will help you pick the right wheels for your intended uses.

Another vote for hunt wheels. Great value. I’ve got one of the cheaper AL gravel/cx wheelsets that’s been great, and without issue through a season of CX racing and a few thousand miles on the road.

Contemplating buying a set of the deeper carbon wheels for the road bike…