Did my first zwift race...disappointed at people!

Good question. Zwift How-to: Choose Your Cycling Race Category | Zwift
Different races can have different categories, but most races on Zwift use a similar format. They often will set category boundaries based on your functional threshold power (FTP) in watts per kilogram (w/kg). Your FTP is roughly equal to the maximum power you can hold for one hour. It’s commonly estimated by taking 95% of your power on a 20-minute FTP test.

Once you have a number for your FTP in watts, divide it by your weight in kilograms. Most of the time, this will be what you use to figure out your category. (For example, if a rider has an FTP of 210 watts and weighs 75 kilograms, that means the rider’s FTP in w/kg is 2.8.)

These are the most common category boundaries:

• A = 4.0 w/kg and above
  • B = 3.2-3.9 w/kg
  • C = 2.5-3.1 w/kg
  • D = 2.4 w/kg and below

Of course, it’s best to look at the event description to double-check the rules before a race.

No, I’m just trying to illustrate the fact that fake races will have deficiencies.

It’s like my rec hockey league, when people get upset about bad calls by the refs.

Amateur players get amateur refs.

Fake races…well, you get the idea.

1 Like

It is pretty easy to make some basic changes that would create a more level playing field and healthier environment. You’ll never get rid of all cheating. Just like real racing.

1 Like

not sure I understand how you can cheat others on TR. TR isn’t a competition.

2 Likes

It can be when TR releases the bell curve and people become not happy with where they fall on the curve.

I mean, you can lift fake weights too but what’s the benefit?

1 Like

You could also just say “I’m on the top end of that bell curve” without fussing about with e doping.

1 Like

The caveat is that if I e dope my trainer on TR, I’m not actually cheating myself since the workouts are based on % ftp. Im still getting the same workout/adaptations, but the data that is presented to the community is buffed.

With your weight analogy, it would actually be lifting the correct weight, but applying a sticker on the dumbell making it look like a much higher weight.

Would like to add that these are just examples. I don’t give 2 cares about where I fit into the bell curve or where I finish a Zwift race. From day to day I’m only worried about beating myself.

1 Like

Looks nice on your Instagram feed. All 3 of your followers will be impressed. Well, except for your brother, who knows the weights are fake.

1 Like

This, exactly. Gets me to do a hard, varied effort without caring about the relative results. Keeps it entertaining that way.

4 Likes

You can cheat on TR by rounding up your FTP from 246W to 250W, or by claiming your FTP on virtual power is 350W when in fact it’s nearer 276W as measured by a powermeter🤪

All you have to do is say “I’m a serious enthusiast” and ride alone most of the time, right?

Maybe they should do what zwiftcast mentioned in latest episode, must be an easy implementation. Zwift knows your FTP and weight so when viewing an event, only allow the category you should be in to be available for selection or just let it auto select when entering.

Yes you could go and change weight and ftp to enter another category, but that’s hassle and Zwift power would record this, so I believe you would get less people entering events in the incorrect category .

2 Likes

All good ideas. And Zwift has the capability to do that because events that have a category for women, I can’t select it.

And many posts here saying Zwift needs to fix it. But surprised to see 0 posts saying TR needs to fix the speed/distance doping. Easy to calculate, just lazy not to fix it as this point.

1 Like

Guy in my club does nothing but Zwift, last time I looked, he’s doing 300w for 90 minutes with an average HR below 150. In the odd occasion that he rides outside, he’s just another average old bloke. My tiny 200w wife held him off for 30 minutes recently on her way home from work… he’s just not very good…so what’s the point in ‘racing’ people who cheat all the time?

He cheats be using rollers with a made up turbo power curve inputted instead.

2 Likes

Totally agree - seems like such an easy fix that would fix large % if problems in my view

1 Like

I’ve been training indoors for decades, and every system I’ve used was uninterested in calculating any sort of “equivalent” speed/distance. And so was I. These are irrelevant metrics, in the absence of road slope data.

You consider shifting in erg mode “doping”?

2 Likes

If there was any sort of auto-categorization system, this bloke would end up racing against 300W friends - real or faked. And that would leave your 200W wife racing against 200W friends - real or faked.

I guess what I’ve been trying to say is that is an indoor/trainer riding problem, not just a problem with Zwift. That exact scenario can and probably does exist on TR.

In erg, the trainer adjust even when you shift. I’m not even sure how that would be considered doping.

In response to speed/distance being irrelevant, I agree. But then why does TR calculate and attach it to ride. Just put 0’s. Or they could calculate based on flat terrain with average wind. Like an outdoor velodrome. That would be way more realistic than what gets posted.