Deadlift technique advice for an older weights newbie

It was a good 6 months until I got back to where I was when the injury happened. It took about 3 months for the injury to heal. My physio gave me exercises for the QL, but they didn’t help. The injury really needed rest to heal at first. Then I spent another 3 months going through base and build. The encouraging take away was that I got my power back to where it was pretty quickly. I was afraid that I’d be in a big hole after but it wasn’t the case. Then I spent some time with a trainer learning how to strengthen the QL. Now I’m as good as new :slight_smile:

The deadlift chapter in Starting Strength has nice photos showing how different body proportions have different starting positions.

3 Likes

It is amazing how little tolerance there is for bad form. My poorly throught-through hip height adjustments were small and yet I got punished each time. Form, form, form.

I just wonder if all those back injuries from deadlifts are 100% preventable with correct form (and mobility/stability work) or whether some of us are just prone to getting hurt. Is that an answerable question?

I am pretty sure DL and Squats are a natural body movement so that anyone with a sound body should be able to perform them (correctly) without risking injury. However, going too heavy too soon can injure you no matter what lift you try.

1 Like

General and potentially stupid question related to DL - in the past when I used to lift a lot (years ago), I hated dead lifts because 9/10 I would end up with a bloody shin which is no fun during or later. I assumed I was doing it wrong as a result and just gave up on them all together.

All the advise and posts here have the bar making contact with the lower leg as as sign of good form - so the question is, how do I avoid the bloody shins? It wasn’t from the knurling as the contact was with the smooth parts of the bar.

1 Like

Agreed. For me it’s typically been the slightest lapse in concentration during the lift and then BAM I tweak my low back and I’m out for a couple weeks. As much as I’d like to be “good” at the DL I care far more about my cycling and don’t want to risk not being able to ride for periods of time.

For me the trap bar has made it so I can still do a version of the DL without the accompanying risk.

I will do the same. No need for taking risks. I understand DLs with trap bar are just as effective as standard DLs…

Bloody from the smooth part of the bar is not a good sign. Was it swinging to your shins or just from friction on the drag up? If swinging in you need to set up closer to the bar. If just from friction then it may have been incorrect initiation of the movement. If you start with the shins at a slightly forward angle and initiate the movement with a hip extension your knees will shoot forward and into the bar path. If you start the movement with your back anchored and initiate with a knee extension your shins will go more vertical and more out of the bar path. Your legs move gradually out of the way as the bar raises.

If you are using shoes with a heel it could be pitching you forward with the weight on the balls of your feet. You could try deadlifting barefoot or moving to flat soled shoes. If shoes aren’t an issue think about initiating with knees first then hips. Be sure you are pressing with the middle of your foot and not off your toes. Some “cues” for this are to think about initiating the movement pushing the barbell off the ground with your legs rather than pulling the barbell off the ground.

If it doesn’t feel right for most people the sumo deadlift will eliminate a lot of shin contact and you may be more suited for that style.

Even with good form there is some contact and people commonly wear long socks, pants, or other protection.

1 Like

not from bumping, from friction. your explanation makes a lot of sense and I’ll keep all that in mind.

the biggest no brainer in there (which proves my wife right after all these years) is just wearing long socks. how did that idea slip my mind?

thanks for the feedback.

There are actually specialized shin guards designed for deadlifting but they aren’t necessary for most lifters who just want to mix some deadlifts into their normal routine. Socks and good form should be sufficient. For powerlifters it’s a different story.

1 Like

I bought a cheap pair of wrestling knee pads from Amazon. I pull them up to my calves and they work perfectly to protect my shins during deads. I think I paid 15 or 20 bucks for them. FYI.

1 Like