Cyclocross - drop chain - chain catcher?

Hi all,

Did my first cx season last year and got my butt handed to me but loved it!

Big problem with dropping chain (always to inside). Worst race it happened 3 times although did occur less as season went on and more experience.

Never once dropped chain in the road (Never have mtb) so…

How can I stop this happening? Nobody else seemed to have such as issues as frequently!

Also was looking at getting a chain catcher - something like a dog fang (k edge ones are silly money!). These any good? Just worried that if install one and still chain with one installed…will never get it back on!

Any advice from experienced cx riders would be appreciated!

my CX bike came with a chain catcher installed, I had previously used a cheapo hybrid bike I built up to be a CX bike and I had an inner chain drop.

The only inner chain drop I had this past year (in 16 races I did) happened when I got crashed in a race, can’t remember how much of a pain it was to get it back on, and I eventually flatted in the same race to end my day

I had my chain drop on the outside, oddly enough, in the last race of the season. I haven’t done any tuning up (and obviously a chain catcher wouldn’t help there) so I don’t really know why that happened, and I was actually trying to shift down when it happened

So my n=1 experience has been good I suppose!

1 Like

That’s great. Those are the main circumstances when my chain drops.

I looked at k edge one but just can’t bring myself to pay over £50 for a chain catcher! Do you have a link to the other one (N stop?)

Running Sram 2x10 speed and serious budget so can’t change much I’m afraid! Maybe see if I can shorten chain by one link - would that increase tension? Generally I seem to be in large gear at front and near bottom (low gear) at back. Not sure how to stop the cross chaining
Surely if the dog fang is close to inner ring then chain can’t fall off…can it? Am I missing something ( sure i am!!)

Maybe I’m getting

That’s what I’m most worried about…reduces chances of it dropping…but if it does then race over basically!

That’s great. As that is a mtb mech, would it work with Sram Apex though (sorry - I know nothing about Sram really or mtb!!!)

Great. Would a better front derailaleur make a difference? Cheap Microshift one on at moment- worth upgrading (Would Shimano work with old 2014 apex shifters I wonder…?)