Crit Racing for beginners or cyclists with FTP below 200watts

Definitely get out there and try, at the very least, 5 of them. Like someone else suggested, find crits where they let you jump back in if you get dropped. This past summer was my 2nd year racing crits with women of all categories (not easy). Most races I get dropped but I jump right back in. It can be frustrating at times but I’m gaining experience and learning from my mistakes. It also helps that the other racers are very encouraging and helpful. Most of the time, we don’t regret the things we do in life but regret the things that we don’t do so get out there!

3 Likes

Just do it.
Crits are not entirely about FTP. bike handling (high speed cornering), tactics, and ability to suffer all add to your FTP allowing you to hang with people with higher FTP. I know this From personal experience.

2 Likes

If you have access to a velodrome go to there and sign up. Best way to learn how to really race.

The cool thing about the TR/Clif Team crit analysis was the way the Clif riders looked at absolutely everything in the race – from other riders, to line choice, to road surface, to wind direction – to figure out how they could save energy. That seemed to be way more important than figuring out how to put out more power.

Instead of worrying about not having enough power, focus on how to expend as little of that power as possible.

3 Likes

Find a training or low key weekly crit series. Learn. study. it’s not all about ftp. handling and racing smart matter.

2 Likes

Some of the best cycling content on YT…

Smart racers win just as much if not more than faster racers (just my opinion)…go give it a try.

3 Likes

How to win a crit with your head instead of your legs:

3 Likes

You’ll be fine in cat 4 or 5 depending upon your location. Your strengths will be less wind resistance and hills. A lot of guys with 250+ FTP’s weigh 80kg so you’re at a serious advantage in some areas of racing. Go have fun. Also, Find some drop group rides to get a feel for the experience. Drop rides are casual races with camaraderie.

1 Like

Have to say that if this is true, in my opinion it’s a bit naughty but those other riders should have been more on the ball.

1 Like

Give racing a shot. Landis is right: “experience knowing things…”. You’ll learn. You’ll learn about racing. You’ll learn what you need to do in your future training. You’ll learn about yourself. Don’t worry about getting kicked off the back. You won’t be alone. Keep working at it. Stay with the pack in lap one. Next race, two laps. Keep working. Bottom line: challenge yourself. If/when you get spat out the back, what then? Put groups together. Keep working on technical details. Keep working. Have fun challenging yourself. Too many people never take that first step. Take it! My background? A 55 year old guy who only has 5 races under his belt who has yet to finish with the pack, but I’m having a hell of a good time with challenging myself. Cheers.

4 Likes

I know this too late for the OP, but I’ve just raced my first two crits having only raced CX before. My advice would be go for it and try one. I’m a 45 year old newbie and was crazy nervous before the races.

The main thing I’ve found so far is cornering, cornering and more cornering. I messed up a corner on the final lap, lost the group and race over. Second race I messed up the same corner on the second lap and spent 5 minutes working super hard just to get back on.

3 Likes