Cramping alot - and HARD!

I’m a salty kit crusted cramper. Worse was showing up to a “friendly sportive” (ride attached) this spring on an 86 degree day planning to ride easy with friends and a group of grandparents pulling wagons passed us uphill. Ok it wasn’t that bad, but those words on your left coming from those wankers? It was on! However I wasn’t prepared and I didn’t do the following:

Before the ride.

1. Increase my salt intake a week before.
  2. Start and end the my day with https://liquid-iv.com/
  3. water bottles are full and 3 nuun tablets both bottles before the ride.

On the bike
4. During the ride I have my own skratch lab individual packets.
5. Block 3x salted margarita chews. 2 blocks every 250 calories. 250 is just a way for me to remember to take them.

Post ride:
Sunflower seeds
Hammer vegetarian recovery drink and vegetarian protein.

Nonetheless, I got a bunch of power PRs and tops on some climbs. All while cramping and needing to stop peddling to stretch. . The last mile, I body cramped. Like my whole body. Clearly lost the wheel. While trying to move over and get off the bike a young lady yelled I’m in this lane. Ha. I was like ahh can you help me get off my damn bike? I’m cramping. She obliged. Looking back, I probably didn’t have 3 bottles the whole ride not to lose the wheel in front of me. The bottles were full. I just drink. I was in the black RCC kit and specialized aero helmet. We stopped at the rest stops but regular ole hammer hydration will not work for me. Plus I wasn’t drinking anyway.

I did Goode in a hot hotel on a crappy Peloton. No fan. Just water on the bike (pouring sweat a lady brought me water. I looked like death). Flew home the next day and I’m cramping like a mug. Hamstrings. Calves. Abs. Cramping sucks.

Have a routine that works. Stay hydrated and find an electrolyte that works for you.