Converting old Alu road bike to Gravel

Hi all,

I do not have space at home for another bike, but I still have my first ever Alu road bike, and I would like to know what would it take to convert it to a Gravel bike.

For starters from the top of my mind, I need to check the tire clearance, how much would you guys recommend? Granted it will depend on the terrain but what is a good place to start? 32mm for instance?
Maybe the tire clearance already is a no go for the project… but then I would need to get a pair of gravel wheels.
What other things should I keep in mind or would you recommend chaining?

check this out: Bikeman: Not Found

650B conversion using extra long reach caliper brakes will allow you to run wider tyres. rim brake 650B wheelsets are a bit hard to come by these days but you could give wheelbuilding a try!

1 Like

I’ve not got room for another bike either but I do have an old ti frame sitting in a cupboard (although it is caliper). If I get round to it I thinking new disc wheels/ sti’s, a new disc brake specific fork and a disc brake converter for the rear. It can take 28mm with full mudguards so I think it’ll have room for 700c wheels with gravel tyres or maybe I should go 650b :thinking: