Considering 0° swing cleats, what should I expect?

@Derp, as you’ve no doubt seen from the replies in this thread, everyone will have their preference and what works for them. Ultimately, you should do the same and try out options and see what works for you…

From my own experience at 50 and someone disposed to left knee problems (I messed it up bad in my 20’s), I’ve found that I CAN’T ride with 0 degree float. When I started cycling again back in early 2020, my LBS said I “should” be using 0 float cleats. As a noob to clipless pedals at that time, I took that as gospel.

That said, no matter what we tried during my subsequent fits (left side spindle adaptors, cleat shims, etc), the only thing that helped remove the knee pain COMPLETELY was to move over to cleats with float (i’m currently using the red XPedo cleats (6 degrees float if I recall correctly) that came stock with my assioma pedals, which I bought about 9 months after the bike) and it’s been a night and day difference and i’ve not had one day since where knee pain has been as issue.

Good luck in however you choose to proceed!

2 Likes