Confused about weight management

It is fascinating how varying the responses here are. I think one of the takeaways for @TRusername or anyone trying to figure this out is that you have to figure out what works for you.

There are a variety of viable options but which is best for you depends on a number of factors including, but not limited to

• Balance between weight loss and performance
  • Current fitness level
  • Starting and target body fat percentage
  • Time available to train
  • Time over which you intend to lose the weight

For each of these points the answer exists on a continuum (I think of them like sliders) and depending on where you exist on each of them the recommended path forward is going to vary.

As an example - if you want to maintain your fitness while losing weight you need to pay more attention to properly fueling your workouts (both before, during, and after) and should probably run a relatively small caloric deficit. This would push your time to lose the weight out, but would keep your fitness roughly the same.

Whereas if you are focused more on dropping the weight ahead of a specific date (a wedding being a common example) then you would need to run a higher caloric deficit and really only focus on fueling to the point where you can complete the workouts and no more.

I think most people on here would agree that it is much healthier to take a long view and try to lose the weight over an extended period of time rather than running a severe caloric deficit. I think 1 lb a week is a very steep rate of drop - and while it may be possible for those with a comparatively high BF %, I still think it is unwise as it will likely lead to burnout and breaking with it. Focus instead on building a sustainable diet that you like and you don’t feel like you’re starving yourself.

I’ve included a screenshot below of everything I’ve eaten today on a day off the bike as a reference for what works for me. Note that I’m actually a bit over my daily goal but I’m perfectly fine with that given my current weight and location in training plan

2 Likes