Cold road race Saturday-what to wear

Wind proof gloves are key!

4 Likes

I’d also argue that a softshell with windproof front and breathable back is a good idea.

To the OP: Wool especially Merino actually wouldn’t be recommended in a real race because once you sweat it down it goes real cold. I’m considering your climbing, sweaty, decent fast chilly. It could be problematic. I’d rather go for some synthetic base-layer. But that’s just my opinion.

I wouldn’t worry about the descent too much to be honest. Racing a descent is a lot different to just riding down one in training. You are likely going to be going really hard on the descent, sprinting out of corners, closing gaps, and you won’t have the total wind chill factor because you will be more sheltered in the bunch.

So I would dress so that I am just a bit too hot on the climb and can maybe zip my jersey down a bit on the climb (this may be ill advised if this is a fast climb that isn’t that steep), and then just send it on the descent. Cold in a road race is never really an issue because you are/should be going pretty hard all the time. Only time I have been cold in a race is because I have missed the break and the peloton just shuts down and you cruise around.

I put the toe warmers on TOP of my feet, so you’re not pushing on them at all. I don’t notice them.

thats a great idea… a couple years ago I picked up an Assos iJ.tiBuru Jacket with that construction and with a long sleeve base layer I’ve used it on a fast century ride with temps 28-40 degrees. Perfect.

I’ve used Merino wool for years on winter hikes and even on bike rides. I work up a sweat pretty quick, including my feet, and haven’t had a problem with cold feet.

Like @bbarrera, I wear wool socks for cycling and hiking. I get sweaty and have never had problems with wool being cold. Actually, that’s one of the perks of wool: it keeps you warm even if it’s wet–it’s the original technical material. I love my wool baselayers, too.

I do agree about the vest–my vest is the Jakroo vest (not the thermal one), which is breathable in back but more softshell in front. I very much like the vest as a piece of kit.

Are you doing Snelling?

No, I’m doing UCLA. I’ll hopefully head up to NorCal for some races later in the season!

1 Like

Louis Garneau makes a racing vest that has a opening in the back where your jersey pockets are (and hence where you place your numbers). I had one that I sadly lost : - (

Slight different thought here on the vest: In the 40-60F range, I use a thermal base and no vest. I don’t want to have to deal with a vest’s inconveniences nor watt losses having a sail on (of course, you can go skin tight).

+1 knee warmers
+1 long finger gloves
+1 [thermal] arm warms (can be rolled down)

Fyi: USAC NCNCA (NorCal/Nevada) does not allow this. Numbers need to be on the side.

However, [we were told by the race official at the Early Bird Crit races that] a new ruling allows you to use [3M] spray to secure it, and hence, not ruin a jacket or vest [with pins] if you decide to go that route.

1 Like

100% agree on arm warmers - which you can roll down/up; Wind-proof gloves; and wool socks. I think those are not optional for what you are talking about. The rest is highly dependent on your cold/hot tolerance.

If you are cold disposed, I would either do a synthetic base layer with windstopping in front, ventilation in back (if you run hotter), OR the vest and normal base layer). I have a gore windstop base layer that is fantastic.

Wool knee warmers are my favorite kind and much cooler than full knickers.

I would say toe warmers or nothing, given the temps, depending on how your feet respond to cold. I would not do full shoe covers.

1 Like

If/when you make it to NorCal, let me know!!

@Nate_Pearson: have an awesome time at Snelling, just watch out for bees!! It’s a super-pretty racecourse because of all of the almond blossoms, but the bees are out in force too!!

1 Like

Main point is that I am still upset about losing my favourite vest.

somebody stopped me at Cal Aggie crit and repinned my number to the side, she said it was for the cameras and as it was my first race I didn’t know it was a rule.

@llmonty wool knee warmers?! I definitely need those! Man, I’m such a weather weenie…

@dhellman for sure. I just checked out the Snelling race, that one looks nice.

@bbarrera yeah, it is most important to make sure they can keep track of you on each lap and during, just to keep tabs for safety and to make sure you haven’t been lapped and trying to hop back in for the win or something.

1 Like

I’ll toss in a story as this thread got me to thinking… last April I did Col du Mosquito Ridge and by noon it was 52 degrees at the 6000’ summit of an 18 mile climb. Started back down after a brief stop to put on my thin jacket (stuffable PI jacket for rain) that usually helps keep chest warm on descents. Unfortunately the cold front that was suppose to arrive in the evening made an early appearance, with a cloud deck appearing out of nowhere and temps dropping to 38 within 15 minutes of my descent. I wasn’t wearing my windproof gloves (doh!), the jacket was mostly useless, and that forced me to ride the brakes downhill for a 22mph average in my attempt to stay warm. My hands were frozen after 10 minutes, and my feet were frozen after 20 minutes. Moral of the story - windproof gloves and a proper vest are absolutely critical IMHO. Buying a form fitting vest was best decision I made after that ride.

1 Like

I’m shivering just reading this…

2 Likes

you are going to be fine!

UNDER 60 DEGREES, COVER THE KNEES!!! EVEN IN A RACE SITUATION!!

-Hugh
my blog: ex-prosays.blogspot.com