Cassette for climbing

I’m currently running 50-34 and 11-40 with an Ultegra R8000 long cage mech. No need for a wolf tooth. Current crankset (quarq dfour) is not compatible but I also have 46-30 absolute black chainrings as an option.

3 Likes

I use Sram CX 11-36 with Ultegra Di2 R8000. Works perfectly fine. This is my cassette for “special occasions”, I can totally recommend it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What was it now that Amber recalled in a recent podcast? … “I never met a gear I didn’t like.”

2 Likes

Did you have to change your derailleur ??

No, it is stock sgs without any changes. I tried also 11-42 from my MTB but it was too much :slight_smile:

11-40 is the practical maximum you can run on a roadie Shimano drivetrain (using a long cage derailleur) without resorting to something like the Wolftooth Roadlink.

1 Like

But you might also have to use longer (ergo new) chain when you make extreme changes, though.

Has anyone had any success using the WolfTooth Roadlink and a short-cage cassette?

If so, how many extra links did you need to put on your chain? Is there any skipping or difficulty shifting around?

I’m looking to turn my RD-7900 (older 10spd DuraAce rear derailleur) that currently has an 11-28, which is the max range, to run an 11-32. The WolfTooth seems like the best bet without buying a new RD.

The site says it’s compatible, but I would be interested to hear if anyone has done it before to get a wider climbing range.

Edit: Now I’m seeing this: Double chainrings are only supported with medium cage rear derailleurs . Maybe it’s not possible :cry:

Interesting, I didn’t know this was even possible. I do have a 10speed XTR derailleur, so that’s good to know I would need the 9 speed

Never heard anyone say that was too much gear. With that said I run a 11/34 and love it. Running a 50/34 front and I feel like I can get over anything.

1 Like

If its convenient then every little helps, but just as a slight counter to balance this thread - youre not going to die on your ass because you have a 30 rather rhan a 32 or 34, your cycling fitness will determine that. 30s werent common place even a few years ago.

I ride a lowest gear of 34/25 - because it was the cheapest casette I could find - up 15-25% grades, my w/kg is 3.26, I’m no superhero yet somehow I ‘survive’.

4 Likes

I went from a 32 cog to 40 cog by adding a roadlink, and keeping my medium cage derailleur. Added I think 2 links (one inch) to my chain.

I’d bet you can go from 28 to 32 by adding a roadlink and keeping your short cage derailleur.

In terms of adding links to your chain, you may need to play around a little. Start by adding none, and see how that works. By shifting through you range of gears you should be able to tell how many links you’ll need to add. Do this in a bike stand, not while riding the bike.

The roadlink is pretty cheap. So worth trying.

True in concept - but IME with a Shimano medium cage derailleur - in practice it has a larger capacity than advertised. My chain is set up shorter than the recommended approach to sizing a chain.

It will shift into the 50-40 just about - so I won’t break the chain if I make that shift - but I never ride that way.

When I shift into 34-11, the chain just about has some tension left in it. But - I rarely ride 34-11.

Basically, things work fine, and I avoid cross chaining.

My recommendation for @CatCryRides was to try it and see If it works, as there is little cost to do so. The roadlink is about $20.

I should add that I do most of my own bike repairs/upgrades, and am used to working on my bike. I’d bet if I brought my bike to a bike shop and asked them to do what I did they would have said no way.

1 Like

32 yes, 34 is overkill. enjoy those trips!

1 Like

Like OreoCookie, I would suggest the SRAM 11-36 Cassette. I’m using the PG1170 on a first generation Trek Domane with Ultegra R8000 mechanical. The crankset is 50-34, with R8000 GS rear derailleur. That got me up some steep hills here in the UK (Scotland and Yorkshire) last year and didn’t need any particular setup, other than normal rear derailleur adjustment. The steps between gears are pretty even.
For context my FTP is 196, weight 63 Kg and age 61.
Hope this helps, enjoy the Alps!

3 Likes

Just did the Local Hills yesterday… 36 x 32…

Was laughing how easy 20% was compared to 36 x 29… the Largest Offering for Campagnolo… until you hit… the Best of Not Carbon… everything above is carbon… have to go to keep this simple… 105 Gearing Cassette… for me its called Centaur… really good Bang for the Buck… but not exactly light…

Weight of Bike has grown…

More Tools… to help out… when I’m out there and see someone on the side of the road…

My Aero Arundel Duo… has put on some weight… now a Bulge… Better since I Vacuum Seal One Tube… the other in Thick Re-sealable Bags you get on eBay… cheap…

Had to get a derailleur hanger extender…

This Thing!

That had me scratching my head to why I was Giggling that Thing… that $21 Thing now allowed me to run in gearing…

36 x 32…

Thats Mid Compact Gearing Up Front…

Next Guy I pass on a climb… when they were panting overweight in the body asking what gearing… I used to always hear the same thing… Compact Up Front… Proudly Displayed…

50/34?

Tempting… still Go Fast…ish on the Local Race Night… an always varied Course… you need to ride a lot of those rides to get to the Know the Route as Every Route was New at first… Kept finishing with Racers… The Go Very Fast Cat 4 to Cat 1 Thursday Night Varied Training Ride…

Noticed something recently… TrainerRoad and Coach Chad…

I’m getting there I promise…

Coach Chad on Podcast is why I Signed Up 3 years ago

Have fallen In and Out of love with TrainerRoad over those years… but Never Coach Chad!

Listen to him… notice how the podcasts its Nate and Jonathan at first talking…

Coach Chad… Head Down… looking at laptop… Doing Amazon Orders… Bidding on eBay… Checking Mail… as in Actual Mail!

and how his Head Pops up when he gets a Question… viewer mail… that’s been Audited and Educational for Us… for Free on the Podcasts… on Youtube!

And they do Highlight Nuggets Now and they keep saying the same thing…

Its Up to You!

Whats your Goal?

Want to Climb or want to go Fast?

Two Separate Groups of Discipline…

Thank you GCN… when it was still Good… Matt… you are missed… we do enjoy you on Sigma… but while its Better… just not the same

Don’t Ever Break Up the Band!

Nate!

Thank you!

I’m a Lifer!

Jonathan!

Thank you!

Yes you too… Lifer remember… Both of you!

My Relationship? That was with Coach Chad… we have Had 3 Years Together… we have have or Up and Downs… we know you want to Scream… its why they Feed you Alcohol Now!

Stop Poisoning Him!

Get him Focused again… His own Show… Group Rides with Chad!

And there he will be saying… this Workout is Designed to make you Better… what part of better is up to you…

I’m responding to @brendanhousler for a reason…

He is the Local Legend…

Owns more KOM’s than most anyone in this Area… Upstate New York… Finger Lakes…

Hills and Category 4 up to 2…

what you want to do is up to you

So if He says 32 Yes… Listen to him… Race legend… Local Hero… no matter where he actual is these days…

Was Laughing Up Cat 4’s… Nasty versions… Steep and Short… Steep

36 x 32 Laughing… Looking at my Power Meter on the Bike… you know… you Train with Power Right? TrainerRoad!

Getting it Tattooed at some point

So when People ask… I can point… At my Arm… and then at my Bike… and Ask… Whats is your Goal in Biking?

Leaderboard I’m on is the 1 to 2 percent stuff around here…

Thats why he is a God… Anaerobic Power… His Secret Weapon…

I think they invented the Power Meter just to Learn the Power some People can Produce… you are a Human… thus the Engine…

Fix yourself… Bike is better… how you do it is up to you… TrainerRoad and Coach Chad… we are now in the Honeymoon Stage…

Do it all… just do it… you will eventually figure it out…

Want to Race or Climb?

Race Over Climbs… the Pro’s Switch Gearing for Climbs…

Cassettes are easy to change… Up Front? Cranks? and you have a Crank Based Power Meter… So when I Ordered my Power Meter I Order Mid Compact… 52x36

Cake and eat it gearing I guess… thanks to $21 Extender…

and Anaerobic Power… the Door really swings both ways…

Do the Weight Lifting - Squat and Deadlifts… there is more… just start there…

Listen to Chad!

Listen to @brendanhousler!

32 on the back? More than Enough!

I have an 11x32 cassette I run with a 52x36 sub compact crank with a short cage 6800 on a tarmac and short cage 5800 On an allez without an issues. Just cranked the b screw in some.

2 Likes

That really depends on where you live and how strong you are. On a longer trip when I have to stick to an IF or ~0.7ish (that translates to 200-230 W), there are a few long, sustained climbs here where I need 34:32 (or at least, this gear is much gentler on my knees). Do I need this on a hill climb race? No, I don’t think so. But for longer rides, yes.

3 Likes

My current setup is a 50/34 compact upfront and an 11/34 cassette out back with a long cage derailleur. I rarely need that 34 in the rear but when I do I am very glad I have it. The only issue with this setup is the jump between cogs in the back is a little larger than I would like. I’m now considering going sub-compact up front (48/32 or 46/30) with an 11/30 or 11/28 in the rear. With this setup I should get a similar low end climbing gear but have much smaller jumps between the cogs out back.

I might also go to the Alps later this summer, I currently have 53/39 front derailleur and 28/11 cassette, I very much doubt I can go for a whole day on the 39x28 doing big climbs, but what do you guys think, should I change to compact for this trip? Is there somewhere a rough guide on the gearing needed depending on the w/kg at which you intend to climb?