Carpathian Peak +2 = fear

Man I dread threshold intervals too. I just have a really hard time sustaining that kind of effort on the trainer. In a race…I can hang on for longer and go way deeper…taste of blood in the mouth, gasping for breath…but by the time i get to the last couple long threshold intervals on a trainer the desire to bail just becomes overwhelming.

I’ve developed a way of dealing with threshold intervals :grin:

I concentrate on one leg at a lime and count out the pedal strokes. If I’m aiming for a cadence of 95 them I’ll count up to 95 on each side and… lo… 2 minutes have gone. Repeat as necessary.

It helps balance out the leg imbalance I know I have as well as passing the time. You’re only ever aiming at 1-minute durations at a time rather than thinking about 10/12/15/20 intervals which will be more daunting.

I do endurance rides of 200 miles pd on multi-day rides and when I was starting out it definitely helped to break down the distance into manageable chunks. This is a similar psychological “trick”.

May not work for everyone :grin:

This. Threshold workouts are not easy and require focus and attention ahead of time (nutrition, hydration, etc) but should be well within reach if your FTP is set correctly.

1 Like