Call of a lifetime

Absolutely fair.

But in this house, promise you that Stetina got an equal amount of shade for whining :smiley:

My beef with Stetina is that he complains about it becoming too pro while competing in the pro gravel series.

Feel free to drop your sponsors, drop your mechanic, sell your van, back out of the Lifetime Series and enjoy the “spirit” with the rest of us.

26 Likes

Stetina seems fine with the spirit of gravel when he’s winning and not so fine with it when he’s getting beat. To really say, I don’t respect the mountain bikers because they skip the aid stations because they are wearing camelbak’s is ludicrous in my mind. If you don’t want to get beat at the aid stations, wear a camelbak! Seems like lesson learned to me, do better next time.

16 Likes

In the last few miles of Unbound someone was giving out Busch Lights at the end of their driveway. I hope Pete stopped there.

1 Like

Also it’s been interesting to see Payson go from the spirit of gravel rules to running the pack and such. Like a light finally went off that these are races with a lot of $ on the line. Glad Keegan talked some sense into him haha

3 Likes

Now that’s the spirit of gravel. Neve turn down a busch light camo can edition

4 Likes

I’m absolutely loving the series and I hope they expand on the concept for 2023. Ditto in wishing they’d cover both the Men and Women at each event and I think there is a huge opportunity to dive deeper into all the storylines. And say what you will about Sophia but you have to admire her fire.

9 Likes

It was the John Deere can.

Maybe Pete has a deal with New Holland though so it could have been a sponsor thing if he didn’t stop.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

At a gravel event I do annually (coincidentally the same day as Unbound), the last aid station has coolers packed full of PBR and mountains of bacon.

1 Like

Exactly. The spirit of gravel is still out there but if you’re racing for $250,000 you may miss it.

12 Likes

It’s literally Michael Jordan saying, " the glove" and then laughing in the last dance. People love cutthroat male athletes.

2 Likes

Or attack the guys wearing them on early climbs since they’re making a strategic choice to carry the extra weight. It’s a tactical decision with advantages and disadvantages, it’s not cheating.

3 Likes

The first (and only) aid station at the Frostbite 50 back in Feb 20 had coolers of Hamm’s.

I love me some Hamm’s. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Exactly…I was trying to be diplomatic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

it is not far off from Strickland in 2021 when he was trying to gatekeep…the reality was that he was getting beat.

Now Stetina is a FAR better rider than Strickland ever was and has the ability to still compete with the best guys, IMO…his 2022 season was somehwat derailed with all the challenges around his kids’ birth. Props to him for being able to perform at the level he did in the second half of the year with all he had going on.

6 Likes

Barely a soul from the XCM worlds either.

It’s good quality midlevel domestic racing. Great TV. Great on the turbo. It cheapens it to pretend it’s on the world series.

1 Like

Wasn’t Stetinas tag line “Pete ruined gravel” or something like that in his first couple years? And now he’s complaining it’s ruined??

It’s just a marketing tag line. Nothing more. No need to start looking at stats. I think everyone understands marketing does not equal facts.

100% agree. definitely want to stand up for sophia again. if a dude talks like that theyre a bad ass. but females are all just supposed to be sweet and nice. hell no.

i have no defense for stetina though.

15 Likes

The thing I thought was a little off was how it seemed they went a bit out of their way to portray all the other women as sweet, nice or virtuous, but then sophia’s sound bytes were all discordant notes relative to the group. sarah was fun-loving, hannah was hard-working, haley was seeking something bigger than winning, rose was capping off a decorated career. Sofia was the one harsh note they played and it seemed like it was done intentionally through the use of very short sound bytes.

I think they kind of did something similar with Keegan, but he didn’t say enough or was just too chill to really make it add up. But even Stetina, Payson, Russell, Alexey, Cole all were kind of heart-warming or sympathetic stories, even Stetina.

Seems very odd if they tried to make both Sophia and Keegan out like they were the “win at all costs” villians of the series.

11 Likes

Stetina is definitely getting labeled as a whiner. He got called out for sending the aerobar email and then the whole aid station fiasco with SBGRVL blew up in his face. At the end of the day this is racing and if it’s within the rules it should be fair game. Lots of sponsorship dollars on the line for these athletes to compete for. It Stetina doesn’t like it he can always ride with the rest of the amateurs midpack and enjoy the “Spirit of Gravel”…