Biggest regret you have in cycling

Not starting sooner. Same for running.

1 Like

Not riding enough with my mates.

2 Likes

Wasting my potential of youth by i) training & racing too easy, and ii) partying too hard.

Not doing downhill MTB.

Buying a mechanical groupset. :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Not starting earlier. As a lot of other folks have to say.

Still guilty of that

Not picking a cheaper hobby to pursue. I think darts would be cheaper :wink:

4 Likes

I regret waiting until I was 37 years old before startingā€¦now one year in.

2 Likes

Being slower than a 3 legged tortoise on a treadmill set in reverse :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Not picking a cheaper hobby to pursue. I think darts would be cheaper :wink:

Darts come with added costs, like beerā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any real regrets, I started mountain biking in university and road riding a year or two later and still enjoy both 20+ years later. I do wish Iā€™d got into riding with the fast local groups on the road way back then though. I was just riding with my buddies or on my own on the road, and have only started doing drop rides and the like in the last few years and love it.

Not competing when I was young and fit. As a teenager with no training I could do rides that would kill me now, even with TR.

1 Like

Not training in my 20ā€™s and 30ā€™s like I do now.
I did fairly well not following a plan so always wonder how far I could have gone training properly

But you get to pick a bonkers nickname. #silverlining :rofl:

Not keeping up my training volume each winter, especially around christmas time. Causing me to fall back both in cycling ability as daily training habits.

Not realizing as a youth trying to survive in the competitive basketball culture of NYC that there existed a sport aside from being a jockey that short, skinny kids could excel at.

3 Likes

Not when you include beer

Not finding structured training sooner. I spent about a year on zwift (without a real power meter) trying to figure out how people got so fast and generally being frustrated. Having never truly played sports or worked out, I find the TR plans are extremely helpful to me.

Also, buying a ten year old used road bike instead of buying a new. I love my bike, but I cannot make any upgrades to it without replacing the entire crankset and shifter sets, which would cost the same if not more than what I paid for the bike. I didnā€™t realize at the time I bought the bike that not all people at bike shops are knowledgeable or truthful about the bikes they are selling

1 Like

Quads. :boom::boom:

Reminds me of one of my off-season training sessions. Me and one of my team mates ā€“ 6ā€™2, 180lbs ā€“ would go to a parking garage, me on my bike, him on roller blades. He would hold onto the back of my seat and Iā€™d haul him up 3-4 stories to the top of the garageā€¦descendā€¦do it all over again.

TR workouts ainā€™t got nothinā€™ on olde school crazy fun!

Not realizing that my legs are slightly different lengths, and that is why running hurt, and that is why I failed at sports as a kid, and that is why I had all the energy of a mollusk.

Biggest un-regret: deciding to go for a bike ride one random afternoon in my 40ā€™s, realizing my knee didnā€™t hurt on the bike, and start trying to figure out why.

My only regret is not finding a love for cycling earlier in life. I rode when I was a kid until I got a car, then it went out the window. Didnā€™t buy a bike again until my children were old enough to ride. After two rides I thought ā€œwhy havenā€™t I been doing this all along?ā€

2 Likes