Big Sugar Classic 2026

I haven’t seen a post yet so here is one on the Big Sugar Classic for 2026.

Who is registered? What tires are you running and what pressure?

Hoping this year the weather will cooperate.

Can’t make it this year…but I do wonder what the limit to prices on these 2nd tier Lifetime races is. $200 is absolutely insane to me for a one day race that isn’t a bucket list Unbound/Leadville type allure.

I don’t remember the cost of the 100 mile race registration last year but I don’t remember it being over $200. I was surprised at the cost as well. For me it’s an easily drivable Lifetime race and Bentonville is a really cool town.

Currently running 2.1” Thunderburts in the low 20s PSI

I think they are hitting that point. I know it was high last year also, I remember debating it before signing up. This year was over $250 after fees and tax. I think it’s a great event and I’ve done it the last 2 years, but decided to skip it this year. Price wasn’t the only factor, but it was a big part. I think they have been selling it out every year, so the value is clearly there for a bunch of people. Good for lifetime if they can get it. It’s a big/fun event. Not quite bucket list level, but definitely in the next tier.

I threw my hat in. Got to sign up the day before at the little group ride thing. Road with some of the Pro’s. I know it aint worth anything. But……I stayed with him and 2 other guys over the main hill that split the group up. Chased back after a battery problem. Had another battery problem and got dropped. Almost chased back by the end of the 50 miles. Considering the Pro said he was doing threshold I am happy with that.

Anyways…. I will probably just run a Crux with Pathfinder Pro 42mm. See what happense.

$575!?!?!? For one race? That’s not a VIP package is it? I think I paid less than that for ALL of Chicago Grit, which is 10 days of racing. Who is paying this much?

one race not vip.

.

They have a huge supply/demand imbalance. 575 is the “cheap” path, Lots of folks basically pay $2k+ for the race entry by signing up for the training camp package or getting a spot via charity path.

And check out the price of iron man races if you want to feel better about bike racing.

But yeah, some of these prices are getting crazy. But nobody is forcing anyone to sign up for these bucket list events, plenty of cheaper local stuff that is a lot of fun.

Training plan, training camp, 2 1/2 weeks in the area, different bike, air travel from Florida. I mean, dude, please don’t make me think about how much I put into that belt buckle.

I certainly enjoyed Chicago cyclocross back in the day as well!

Joe

I remember considering DNF’ing 25 miles into with serious cramping at Little Sugar last year and was like…f that. I spent $1000 to get this stupid medal. I’m getting it no matter how long it takes.

$575 is the ‘cheap’ way as I understand it through the lottery.

I did it last year for free with a friend the weekend before. Had fun.

I can somewhat excuse the races with logistical support, aid stations, great swag, etc.

Unbound is something I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around. You barely get a water station out there. I’m not completely appalled by race prices usually either, as someone mentioned I used to race Ironman’s. It’s definitely what Lifetime wants to go for, which is what it is. It’s a premium brand and premium race.

Plenty of amazing races at half price or less.

Bumping this thread.

Is anyone going to the Back Yard Bash this weekend in Bentonville for the gravel ride? I’m heading up and riding the 60 mile route. It’s going to be hot but I’m using this as a shakeout ride for my new setup.

Anyone interested in the 100-mile, hit me up. I just got into college recently and have learned that training for a 100-mile race while doing college and trying to hold a job is not feasible. Aka I really don’t want to race, and haven’t ridden more than 2h in the last 2 months and haven’t touched a bike in 3 weeks :frowning:

Surprised no one has jumped on your offer. I’ve already checked out for the summer and if I had kept up my training, I would’ve maybe taken this.

Anyways, good luck with college and finding someone to transfer your ticket. I’ve been there and done that…focus on your studies when you can! Cheers!

Yeah same. Owell. Ig worst case I can bump down to the 50 right? Then just kinda turn it into a fun day or something. idk. I know I will just get upset if I try to race when I realize how slow I am going lol. Owell. Still on the table if anyone wants it. I really would like to not race it lol.

wish i could take you up on it but my scheduler hates me and i have to work every weekend in october, side eye