Best Chain Lube for Wheel off Trainer

+1 for squirt
The RNRG reviewed really closely to squirt, the Silca a bit better again.

1 Like

Used Squirt for two seasons. Not really that impressed for MTB Marathon racing, But the most annoying aspect was the gunk build up. And indoors you would have all that gunk.

I use RNR Gold, in- and outdoors, quite happy with it. But discussing lubes is like discussing favourite colours.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input…

Personally for cleaning:
I’ve been using my mechanics recommended mucoff bike degreaser (yellow spray bottle) works like a charm and not messy at all.
For heavy outdoor and/or mix of indoor and outdoor once a week (non-race prep cleaning). Would back pedal spray with dummy hub, directly spray onto cogs, let it sit for two minutes, run rags between cogs and all over chain and legit shiny brand new look. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Or favorite ice cream flavor :joy:… seems like a lot more people are using RNR Gold than I thought

I think on their site they have a money to distance graph and RNRG was better… I mean we’re talking under half a watt difference in super clean conditions, but the money to distance is what drew me to RNRG and also it’s relatively readily available via amazon.

Will do this and a bit slower next time I lube… just weird to me how dry the chain feels (there’s a touch of grease feel to it but very little). Is that normal?

1 Like
  • Yes, ideally you remove most (all?) of the exterior lube. Anything on the outside of the side plates only attracts dirt and leads to wear.
  • The most important place to have the lube in inside the rollers/pins and between the side plate contact areas. Anything else is not serving a functional purpose and will simply hold dust and debris.

I use Silca NFS lube. You need so little of it and it runs so quietly.
Minimizes cast-off and lasts a LONG time before having to re-apply.

2 Likes

Right I meant specifically say the chain is stripped clean (overnight agitation bath) and dry… to me it seems that after the chain lube has settled in, the chain is “too” dry?

:rofl: +1 to that! Squirt throws off little wax nodules all over the floor behind the trainer.

2 Likes

Are you guys riding straight after applying the lube or something? I did notice that with squirt one time when I used the bike straight after putting lube on, but I’ve never had that issue where I apply lube after cleaning and then use the bike the following day etc.

NixFrixShun, it’s the closest thing you can get to Silca’s NFS since it’s no longer available. Josh Poertner (Silca Owner) recently endorsed it in his marginal gains podcast

1 Like

That could be it. Except right after I take it out of the box, I never clean a chain I’m lubing with Squirt. That’s what they recommend.

In any event, even if I have to spend 60 seconds fetching a broom and sweeping up bits of wax behind my trainer every two weeks, Squirt still beats the pants off any other chain lube.

I dig the fact that it’s wax, it’s fast than paraffin, but it’s still biodegradable…no nasty fumes…no electricity to run crock pots or sonic cleaners…just simple performance. It’s great stuff!

Based off reviews on here I bought some rock n roll gold. Used it today and amazed by amount of black crap what ran off a (what I thought) was a clean chain. I’d taken chain off bike, washed it, soaked it in degreaser and washed it again before fitting it so thought it was clean…but wow a lot of junk came off when used RNRG lube. I did use quite a bit though and gave it really good wipe over after…this is right isn’t it? How often do people relube with it?

Yup. During the summer I wipe chain before/after every ride. Reapply every two weeks or so, roughly 200-400 miles or 15-30 hours. It’s dry and hot here during the summer.

3 Likes

Perfect, thank you. 99% of my riding is dry… wet weather = turbo trainer! Be be fair with TR and best training, usually good weather also equals turbo trainer! Lol

1 Like

Same here

Gosh 600+ miles from MSW on turbo! What am I doing wrong? I am using ultegra chains and MSW and find even on the turbo (Kick core) they get noisy after around 7 hrs of use. (call that 7x15 approx 100-150m). Absolute max is 15 hrs (say 250 miles).

Outside in the dry I find that 250 miles is enough for a chain to start getting noisy.

I am baffled!

I use the Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube that I use for all my chains and whilst my chain will get cleaned and lubed during the TT season since I got the turbo two years ago I think I might of clean/lubed it twice. Every time I check the rollers look fine.