Anyone know how the workouts get their names?

I understand the +1/-1 part but there has got to be a story around the workout names…inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

I think they are local climbs/hills/mountains to the trainerroad base.

1 Like

Partly correct. Coach Chad started with local names, but quickly ran out of names. He has expanded and uses ones from all over now. They mentioned it in an older podcast, but this is the gist.

1 Like

Wow! I now have a new life goal. Ride the locations which inspired the workouts that wipe me out. Hello there Mary Austin, Morgan wherever you are…

3 Likes

There’s a couple from around here - Mont Albert, mont Gosford, Megantic - and a few from the nearby Northern Adirondaks.

2 Likes

Too funny, I’ve climbed mont Albert twice. Better in snowshoes than by bike :wink:

1 Like

You’ll need to hike this Mary Austin :hiking_boot:

1 Like

So, what does the +1/-1 part mean?

It can mean several things.

The minus version of a workout might be slightly shorter, have less intense intervals or have more recovery between intervals. Likewise, the plus version might be slightly longer, have more intensity and less recovery.

Depending on the type of workout, you might find that a combination of the above has been applied. Say you’re doing a +2 threshold workout. Chances are that the intervals are two or three minutes longer than the standard version. There might also be less recovery if the workout is only one hour in duration.

1 Like

They are variants of the base workout. As @PusherMan states the plus versions are harder in some way, the minus versions easier. Mostly -

There are some where the naming convention wasn’t followed and the -1 version is harder! If you filter the workout library by name you can usually spot them as the TSS and/or the IF (and nowadays the Progression Level) of the workout is higher. This error was mentioned in one of the podcasts a while ago.

Buttertubs, Yorkshire, UK.

3 Likes