Anybody have a Wahoo Kickr 2018 that DOES NOT have any issues?

Just had kickr #2 fry on me today mid-ride. My brother is on his third. The “good” thing is their customer service is supportive. I’m losing my patience with Wahoo :rage:

2 Likes

When a company has to hang its hat on its great customer support when their stuff doesn’t work, there’s a problem. I have no idea what CycleOps’ customer support is like, and that’s the way it should be at these price points.

4 Likes

I’m contemplating telling them to keep their product, and wiping my hands of wahoo, and getting a different product.

5 Likes

I don’t have a 2018, but my 2016 is kind of giving me fits. First was the clicking. Got rid of that. Now it’s the ‘whirling’ sound. Will remedy that this morning I hope. Overall I’m not too stoked on it. When I have my TT bike on it, everything seems good, fluid, like riding on the road. Put my race bike on and it’s the absolute worst (obviously something is up with my race bike) Then trying to use it with power match and it’s just a headache. So close to dumping this and going with some e-motion rollers as I love my non smart ones.

I’m not sure where to put this, and I hope this post is allowed, and others can benefit from this post. My Kickr Snap when t’s up on me during the first two weeks. I upgraded and exchanged for the 2018 Kickr in January, and this thing just went t’s up on me. I was about to wash my hands of Wahoo, but I heard back from them today, and what they told me is this:

“…I 100% understand the conundrum for you here. Reflecting back on our conversation from yesterday, and to address the warranty side of things, we will always stand by our warranty and support our customers. Especially if it happens to be a ‘known’ issue. With that being said, if 2020 rolls around, and your trainer begins to exhibit behaviors that have been a factor in you having exchanged and received multiple trainers, we will still honor that warranty. We are pulling trainers straight from the warehouse, and testing them in-house prior to shipping. Therefore, you shouldn’t run into the same issue again…”

Yes, this is a bit annoying that I’m having to ship back a 2nd trainer, but they do stand by their product. For those of you who have warranty issues, it appears that are more than willing to work with you to get you a new product, even after their 1-year warranty expires. I was going to wash my hands of Wahoo until I received this message from them. It’s back to the KK fluid machine, until next week when my new machine gets to my house. I will keep ya’ll posted.

3 Likes

I talked with them over the phone and they told me the same. My fifth kicker is on its way and showing up Monday. I told them I returned the h2 and picked up another kickr even after failures just because I still prefer the kickr

3 Likes

My problem is i’m the second owner from a friend who bought a new one and I bought his 2016. I’m having him find his receipt so I can give to Wahoo. But, I may just sell mine ‘as is’ and get some e motion rollers instead.

1 Like

Just received my third kickr 18, set up and tested it out. “Platinum” model per rep, meaning it’s been stripped and rebuilt completely to eliminate problems. Initially loud, relatable to a Kickr 17. Also suspect vibration but will need to run a few workouts to sort out.

• 1st one purchased new from authorized shop in Oct 2018. Made it to about March and then had the key way issue, loud knock suddenly developed. Reached out to support, zero issues, brand new one sent out.
  • 2nd one set up and instant vibration at speed around 30 mph and also when coasting around 20mph to 10mph. Reached out to support and sent a new one. As mentioned above, the platinum one.:thinking:
  • 3rd one set up as mentioned above.

Anyone have experience with requesting a refund? I understand the situation and what not but it’s getting to be a little excessive, especially since these last two are out of the box issues and not something that has developed after a while.

1 Like

@JustInTime this may sound petty, but my next step is to the federal trade commission. I’m awaiting on trainer number 3 from them, and if this goes bad, they will refund my money, or I will go the FTC route. I’m not too sure how far I will get, but I let the lady know they have literally pissed their customer base off. I let her know they will lose to Garmin/Tacx, because of their faulty kickr. She, in-turn, put in writing my warranty will continue past my year mark. I have yet to have a kickr last longer than 90 days. My next one arrives tomorrow, which took them 7 days to ship out.

4 Likes

Good for you for getting the warranty in writing. If they would have offered that to me I might have stayed. They did not so now I have an H2 that so far has 0 issues. Already its lasted longer than my kickr core.

1 Like

I wonder what the problem actually is? :thinking: It is obviously not just the key way… I bet the required belt tension is just way too much for the aluminum roller especially when it is not rotating. The next iteration should probably have a clutch that releases the belt tension when you are not using it, or, even better, use a belt with teeth so that these high amounts of tension become unnecessary.

How would you describe the vibration? I find my Kickr Core out of the box is smooth under 180w, but 200w and up I get a vibration in the pedals only on the down stroke. It doesnt seem normal but with nothing to compare to I’m not sure if this is just how additional resistance feels.

1 Like

My dads just received his 4th replacement…

It’s not like this is a ground-breaking mechanical design - it’s a speed step-up belt transmission on a medium-power device with low duty cycle. Quantum physics is not involved.

1 Like

I think you’re giving cyclists too much credit!

I agree it’s a solved problem.

1 Like

At 2000W, it’s getting up there. That imposes quite a lot on the load unit and transmission, particularly considering the wide range of rpms at which you need to absorb/generate this power.

But it’s not rocket science either. Obviously manufacturing costs are an issue, and the use of a keyway to attach the top pulley is a sign of that. Cheap but unreliable solution.

Is it a noisy vibration or can it only be felt through the bike? Also, is it only felt when coasting or whilst pedaling as well?

You feel it through the entire bike. I suspect it to be something like a slightly unbalanced flywheel or misalignment internally. Similar to balancing a car tire.

1 Like

No noise to the vibration. The vibration is apparent when speeds reach the 30 mph mark while pedaling and also while coasting somewhere between 20-10mph.

1 Like

Just like the first 3 versions they used to make, right?
(they all featured a cogged Gates belt and related pulleys)

Then they can reintroduce the Kickr whine as a “feature” and benefit somehow. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes