Any experience with Power2Max 3D24 with Shimano chainrings?

Hi all

So with a crank based Power meter option looking unlikely for my frame (Trek Domane with BB90), I’m looking at other options. The simplest seems to be the Power2Max NGeco using the 4 bolt 110m BCD option so that I can avoid the cost of new chain rings and avoid changing my bottom bracket (unlike the Quarq option that would require me changing my bb).

Not the neatest solution from an aesthetic point of view but ticks the price boxes. I’m totally unfamiliar with rotor cranks and a little nervous about buying into a model that uses cranks that are no longer being made. Power2Max are offering the new Aldhu crankset but this seems complete overkill for someone who doesn’t use oval chainrings, it’s heavier, more expensive and there is at least a 6 week lead time.

Are there any options I am missing around the €600-700 mark that are similarly well reviewed? Thanks.

Edited to add - I use Speedplay so pedal based isn’t an option.

I know nothing about the Aldhu crankset. However, I own two bikes with the Rotor cranks and Type-S P2Max. Going on 4yrs and aside from battery changes, no problems. They just work! No calibration.

As for the Rotor cranks no longer being made, I would not worry. You are buying from P2Max. If you have a problem, I am sure they will take care of you.

1 Like

Thanks - their reputation does look good and the system is pretty much what I need. I think I will push the button on it :smiley:

I just bought the P2M with Rotor ALDUH 24, using my Ultegra chainrings and I actually really like the way it looks on the bike. I’ve only had a chance to ride it a couple of short times but the install, set up and ride have been outstanding, without issues. I went with the new cranks because I didn’t want to buy something they were discontinuing. With the old crank, a tool was required for install but with the new style, only an Allen wrench is needed.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of the Aldhu 24 with my Ultegra rings, I assume you went for the 110 4S option to do this?

+1 for “just works”. I’ve had my P2M NG ECO with shimano chainrings and rotor 3D cranks for a couple full seasons now and have never had to do anything except change the coin cell battery once. I highly recommend it with no but’s or gotchas. FWIW I’m also on a domane :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you go to their website, select the NGeco rotor ALDUH 24mm. I then selected the 4 bolt shimano option. This allows you to run 4 bolt shimano chainrings that typically come on your 105, Ultegra bikes. They fit like a glove.
My bike had an Ultegra 4 bolt crank with a typical shimano 24mm bottom bracket.

Thanks all. Can’t really see the benefit of the Aldhu chainrings for the time being and for the extra cost. Plus being impatient to enjoy the good weather I don’t want the 6 week lead time. Decided to order the 3D24 option. Let’s hope it works out!

1 Like

Just to update this in case anyone else is thinking of taking the plunge, I installed the power meter yesterday and so far so good. Not yet had a chance to compare it to the Elite Direto power measurement but the data so far seems to marry up to my perceived effort. Installation was simple and the rotor cranks look pretty cool (because looking good means I go faster :rofl:)

1 Like

Hi Justin!-
I have ordered exactly the same as you have, rotor aldhu 24 with NG.
My problem is that when I -set the powermeter to the crank , those very small teeth, -it moves!!. When I set the crank arm on, it still moves. It rotates a little so the chainings move a.little on.the crank. I wrote to p2m and they said it was ok. I have very difficult to understand that it is normal.that the chainings move on a crank. Did you have any of these experience when you mounted it? I can send you a video maybe to explain more. Thank you for your help
Best regards
Beatrix

Hi Justin!-
I have ordered exactly the same as you have, rotor aldhu 24 with NG.
My problem is that when I -set the powermeter to the crank , those very small teeth, -it moves!!. When I set the crank arm on, it still moves. It rotates a little so the chainings move a.little on.the crank. I wrote to p2m and they said it was ok. I have very difficult to understand that it is normal.that the chainings move on a crank. Did you have any of these experience when you mounted it? I can send you a video maybe to explain more. Thank you for your help
Best regards
Beatrix

Hi @Beatrix_Cser . I have the same cranks and power meter. When I installed the meter on the axle/crank I found that it took a lot of torque to tighten it down. At what I would consider reasonably tight there was a little play in the spider. Maybe try attaching the left arm first temporarily to give you some leverage when tightening the drive side.

1 Like