Amateur vs. Pro Training, Aerobic vs. Anaerobic, Pro Tips and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 353

@Jonathan @ambermalika I’d like to suggest another option for Brad to train 2 days a week. Brad’s description of himself is exactly me, so I’m speaking from experience. Since the launch of Adaptive Training, this has become very doable. Create a low volume plan with Plan Builder. You’ll see that in different blocks all the sweet spot will be on Thursday and all the Threshold on a Saturday (and then the next block it may flip flop). So what I do is, on the calendar, just drag every other Saturday workout to Thursday, and that Thursday workout to Saturday. So now on alternating weeks I hit sweet spot on one Thursday and then Threshold on the other. You can also adjust the time to make that 90min workout 60min (either do it on the calendar or just when you launch the workout, with alternate workouts). So now I just do my two 60min TR workouts a week on Monday (VO2Max) and Thursday (alternating SS and Threshold) and I ride outside Wednesday and Saturday. I just skip the Saturday TR workout, and I don’t bother deleting it or marking it complete. I just ignore it. Then what Adaptive Training does is figure out that you’ve missed a Threshold workout, for example, and dials down your next Threshold workout so it’s just the right amount of hard. Same thing when you skip a sweet spot workout the next week. So it just keeps adapting to give you the right dose. It does keep you progressing, just not as rapidly as if you had been doing all 3 workouts each week. Before Adaptive Training, when I tried this technique, the workouts would just get too hard because it didn’t realize I was skipping every other sweet spot or threshold workout. Since Adaptive Training, I’ve been way more consistent with this approach, and my FTP is slowly but steadily increasing. It’s awesome!

So I get fitter with TR with the time I want to allocate to “training” and can have more fun when I ride outside…win, win!

Hopefully Brad sees this, and if I’ve not explained it well I’m happy to answer any questions. It’s just working so well for me, I’d love to be able to help others who may be in the same boat.

4 Likes