Aging cyclists - why do we do it?

Yes, you’re not alone.

I suspect one of those rides where you catch a beautiful sunrise or glimpse a summer vista will correct your present mood. :slight_smile:

As for racing, certainly enjoyment has to be the primary driver, but age groups and relative goals are also your friend.

4 Likes

It’s more nuanced than that for me - I love the racing, especially the CX league, but I enjoy the social and family side of it as much as the pure competition.

3 Likes

Blimey, the replies have been far more inspirational than I anticipated, thank you all.

8 Likes

Because I’d rather just be old than old, fat and unfit!

4 Likes

That’s probably because there are so many cyclists over the age of 40!

4 Likes

I was wiped by my surgery and chemo for bowel cancer but afterwards, I got into training to get myself in shape and hopefully do a bit to keep as healthy as possible. There are usually times though at the end of the 3 minute VO2 max interval when I question how much pain I put myself through. For me showing the progression gives me an element of control and optimism about keeping any future reoccurrence at bay (irrational to an extent but it helps keep negative thoughts away).

6 Likes

It’s simple, am I faster and fitter than an alternative version of myself that doesn’t train?

Yes, absolutely.

4 Likes

I think all the physical benefits I enjoy have been well covered already.

The mental aspect is huge though - through the years of the kids growing up and all the responsibilities that come with that, being able to head out for a few hours on my bike was invaluable weekly ‘me time’ where I could just clear my head and zone out for a while.

Now they’re older and I can get out a lot more often, I feel like I’ve earned my time to ride when I want. And with that, I’m incentivised to train so it’s more fun when I do go outside. The option to receive phone notifications on my head unit is always turned off…

4 Likes

Yes, we’re not as fast or as fit as we used to be but imagine what you’d look like and how you’d feel if you weren’t training. Go to your local shopping centre/mall for some examples of what that looks like. (no disrespect intended to said mall folk). Furthermore, I kick asses of people half my age all the time, on a ride when I’m figuring out how strong someone is, how old are they is not that high up in my criteria for figuring that out.

5 Likes

And I’d rather be old than young. I think people forget how tough being young is!

2 Likes

According to my stats I am actually faster but I definitely have less explosive power and when I do have an explosive sprint (or at least a relatively explosive one) it is held for less time.

2 Likes

I like this :ok_hand:t2:

Comparison is the thief of joy

Just look to enjoy the process of being on the bike and the social aspects of riding with friends - the fitness will come and go but the happy memories will endure

:+1:t2:

2 Likes

All my friends are slow though! Definitely don’t need to train to spend time with them. :upside_down_face:

Edit - Another April 2nd birthday here. Clearly the best date for a birthday.

I didn’t even start cycling until I was 46, mostly mountain biking. I am 50 now. I am not competitive but riding outside is more fun when you are more fit.

6 Likes

Exactly this. Started at age 38-ish (currently 43), never competed. But love to train when I can see the results of that training (e.g. power numbers or longer rides outdoor when the sun is shining :wink: ). I don’t care much about how fast other people are. As long as I feel good about my own performance, I’m golden!

3 Likes

Aged 64. Just love training. Do TT events just to have a purpose but really just improving my FTP , increasing CTL, watching TTE change ( Hopefully increase)
Just hit my highest FTP in 8 years, since I started cycling after stopping running.

Just about to retire and want to be fit enough to go out of for the day on my bike and do 50-80 miles.

6 Likes

I’m 48, went throught the samel thing when I was 38-40ish. Started noticing diminished recovery and developed bad allergy/asthma type symptoms after hard efforts. I previously had good success in XC races so the decline was tough to deal with. I had to adjust my mindset and not attach my cycling enjoyment to race results. I found a fast group ride to join the last 5 years which satisfies the adrenaline rush of cycling and slowly got over trying to be Lance. Just find your motivation in a different way and listen to your aging body when it comes to recovery.

3 Likes

I’m 60 and ride because that is what bike riders do. There are my aspects I love about riding, but most of all my bike nevers asks me to take the trash out and doesn’t tell me that I need to drive four hours to a volleyball tournament

3 Likes

I’m in the exact same boat but I only started road riding at 47. Started riding hard last May and hired a cycling coach in October. Now I’m turning 49 next month. I’m totally into riding and training can’t get enough of it. I really regret not finding road cycling 10+ years ago. Just did my first race last month and plan on doing lots of racing this year.

2 Likes